Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

What do you mean?

Do you want to install Manjaro Img to eMMC?

I want to boot fully from sd to solve the green screen problem

If you do not need whatever is on the eMMC now, you can erase the eMMC. All contents of the eMMC will be lost, so backup anything you want to save.
How to erase the eMMC on VIM3.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

By the way, there is still a great way to clean emmc, it is not listed there, this is through krescue, I highly recommend it !!!

2 Likes

Yes, Also a big fan of Krescue. It’s getting better all the time too. Every VIM* owner should get to know Krescue.

2 Likes

I hope everyone is aware that Manjaro is a rolling release distro so users can still use the old image to run manjaro and just update everything to get all the latest packages.

Here is an update.

• Linux kernel updated to 5.5
  • Wifi seems to work on vim3 but is a bit slow.
  • 3D HW Acc can be used with modesetting and qt5-es packages if anyone need hw acc desktop.
  • Video encoding is present in the kernel but is not yet tested.
  • Still waiting for the audio fix for Vim3.
  • Almost everything works on Vim1. You can use kde with Wayland if you want to make use of lima drivers for hw acc of desktop. Haven’t tested much of vdec.
    Were also working on getting a way to install the os on EMMc which is ready but in wip state.

Those who are interested in Manjaro please share your feedback to keep the devs motivated.

Thanks.

4 Likes

@Spikerguy

Thanks for the great work, i have never tested anything other than debian/ubuntu and mint on my pc.

It looks like it’s time for Manjaro to try, but i can’t seem to find download links, 5.3 kernel version is the latest on the download site?

Hi It was on the Manjaro Forum,

I will start maintaining the Img files as we do new releases.
Hopefully Khadas team can help with the storage to host img files.

I will try to get a img file for you tonight.

3 Likes

@Spikerguy I did a small search now on manjaro forum, didn’t read every reply, but i am amazed with community and developers, it looks very serious when it comes to maintenance of popular arm boards, i don’t know why i haven’t tried manjaro before, anyway thank you.

sure ! plz share your image with me ! i can check it and help you with preparing & sharing image

3 Likes

i will be very pleased to test and give feedback on the 1st manjaro image in kresq format : direct installation from cloud to emmc for the win, baby :smiley:

2 Likes

Uploaded IMG which I built now.

Desktop Environment: KDE-Plasma 5.18.0
Kernel: 5.5.0-1 from @balbes150 Repo.
Audio will work only after you uninstall pulseaudio using sudo pacman -R pulseaudio and reboot.
Wifi works fine.
Fan works using the userland script by @hyphop

XFCE

We’re also working on install-2-emmc.sh script. But if it can be used from krescue then it will be much easier for users.
Manjaro Linux running on eMMC is very smooth, Can load within 40seconds.
Please try and let me know. Will create a new img for Vim1 tomorrow.

4 Likes

I’ve tried manjaro kde with 5.3 kernel last night on my vim3, it booted up with no problem, i can’t seem to boot armbian images on it.

First impression, i like it, it feels smooth, but audio doesn’t work, everything else looks ok.

I will need time to get used to it, but i like the idea of rolling distro like this, however it is very different when i compare it with debian based distros.

I use vim1 mostly with android, but maybe it would be better to use manjaro on it, most of the stuff works on it.

I would like to have SSH over usb on this ROM. Is that possible ? how do I do it ?

Audio will work only after you uninstall pulseaudio using

sudo pacman -R pulseaudio

Reboot.

Detailed description would be helpful. In Rolling release you are always up-to-date with the latest releases and you don’t have to reinstall the whole OS to move to a new release.

We have Vim1 Img also but let me create a new one with the updated boot and root partitions. Also will test our install script to install OS in eMMC and publish it hopepfully tonight or on the weekend.

I have never tried this method. Mostly tried ssh over lan or wifi. Maybe someone from Khadas team can advice us on SSH over USB.

2 Likes

@Spikerguy your help is greatly appreciated, i’ll try to google when i need help, but as far as i could see yesterday, manjaro forum is also friendly for newbies.

1 Like

Yes it is. You’re always welcome.

@Spikerguy, green screen with kernel 5.5.0.?

Yes if you use Latest Android as it is using the New u-boot which causes green screen. Easiest Solutions is to flash Android_Pie_v1908 if you don’t really use android.