Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

Hello Community,

I would like to know from community users which Desktop environment is preferable according to the resource provided by the Khadas Vim1 Device.

I have been working on building Manjaro Linux for Khadas Vim and continue supporting it along with Manjaro Arm Team and Balbes Sir.

Options we have:

1. KDE
  2. LXQT
  3. MATE
  4. Minimal
  5. Server.

Current Status: Fully tested Minimal and LXQT worked fine - (Wifi drivers was manually installed), Next will be adding the wifi driver during the built process, so the user will have a ready-made img.

UPDATE [06/05/2020]

Manjaro ARM for Khadas Vim1 with Lima for HW Acc!

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon , Ko-Fi or Open Collective .
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM .

Manjaro ARM team

4 Likes

Hi Spikerguy:
Looking forward for your great images for VIM.

Good day!

Hi, Spikerguy!
Mate, Server with wi-fi support

Hey,
I need khadam team help with graphic drivers

Screenshots:
Neofetch

CPU Load with Youtube Video playing some in chromium not full-screen

When Video is paused

Fullscreen mode load

Found a V4L2 test Bench which is giving me this information.

Mate Screen

Mate Neofetch

Load with Libre Writer and Calc

KDE Neofetch

LibreCalc Load in KDE

Download from the link. All latest version starting from kernel 5.3.0 are by default working on Vim3. so vim1 users will have to change the dtb filename in uEnv.ini
https://yadi.sk/d/rYzimbOHPxI36w

Install Vim-1 Wifi Driver for Linux 5.2.0 with the follow command

sudo pacman -U [Filename]

How to install:
Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher ( sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

Put the SD card into SD card slot and boot it up. The Vim should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot of 19.07, it will display an OEM type install. After you have made your choices it will reboot into your newly setup system.

Easy install wifi driver with pamac.

Khadas Vim 3 Users
Please use any image from Linux 5.2 and replace the following from uEnv.ini. Depending on their SOC Version.

meson-g12b-s922x-khadas-vim3.dtb
OR
meson-g12b-a311d-khadas-vim3.dtb

This will make it boot on VIM3.

VIM3 Known Issues

• No Wifi. (No Drivers for Mainline Kernel)
  • Graphical Glitch
    Audio needs to be manually fixed by removing pulse-audio and running the g12-sound.sh script from download link.

VIM3 Screenshots
Neofetch

Kernel Version

Bluetooth & Youtube

LibreCalc

6 Likes

Did you check these out?

Let me know ur feedback on these builds

3 Likes

@Spikerguy These Are Great! I was looking for this… however…

I got this to boot on Khadas VIM2 (v1.2) Max by following the instructions here… https://docs.khadas.com/vim1/BootFromExtMedia.html
But I can’t seem to get WiFi working and the lxde version has pamac freezing during updates causing me to have to use the terminal and pacman.

These images are a little long in the tooth and are behind on updates… they are 19.04 while 19.06 is out for Manjaro on x86; any chance of these getting updated?

Otherwise Great Job @Spikerguy, Kudos and Cheers.

P.S. dodgejcr[m] over on #manjaro-arm on freenode server on IRC said:

If they guy who created that modified Manjaro-ARM image, needs help and some information about how to improve his image and bring it up to date in the meantime, have him contact me

For Wi-Fi you have to install the firmware package which i used to do for kVim1.

I havent got any reply from anyone on here to keep this going and also been busy lately.

Well as I dont have Vim2 Max, I cannot comment on it. While strit just texted me asking about Vim2 Max files which you created so if you can share the files please?

I will come on IRC on the weekend and speak to dodgejcr. Also will try to update the image on weekend.

i will deploy and test your img, even though my interest is more on server type distros

I did make a poll for the img. Server img was the last in poll so I didnt take interest in that. Whilr server img is the quickest to make.

1 Like

I can make a server img for you on this weekend. Cheers

2 Likes

lovely !
thks would be my arch maiden flight…

I am so surprised that Arch and Manjaro is getting so much attention. :heart_eyes:

Using this link, I assume you replaced the dtbs and it worked.?

So the uboot and kernel remained the same?

once an .xz has been downloaded, what are the steps to follow before a VIM1 will boot on this image please ?

Just Flash it to the ext Media using Etcher and boot it on KVim.

It should work fine on KVim1

I didn’t create any files, I just used the existing files and followed the instructions here: https://docs.khadas.com/vim1/BootFromExtMedia.html

Yes, I only replaced the dtb and left everything else the same and in tact (uboot and kernel); any further modifications would have been beyond my comprehension level.

@ravelo No modifications needed for the (Vim1) just extract the .xz file with a file unarchiver and then burn the .img file it produces with a program like etcher (balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives) <= a commonly used utility among the community to external media, and boot the media on the device.

It works fine on KVim2 also with only changes to the .dtb file in /boot following the instructions at https://docs.khadas.com/vim1/BootFromExtMedia.html for the Vim2

on my linux pc, i never had issue with dd to burn images to sd or usb and boot from there