LibreELEC for Khadas VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 (SD & USB & eMMC)

Will check if its still present when I get home.
I can’t imagine its a big deal to simply press the SD when you want Android.

Shoog

some people put khadas vim in a closet. and to pop sd card, you have to pull usb power, pull hdmi first. once poped, put hdmi then usb power.

compare to just choose from menu from the comfort of couch, id say its worth it.

yeah, its a big deal.

My point is - how often are you swapping ? once a day, once a week, once a month.
Once a day might be an issue but otherwise not.
Still if its not present in the build you are using then you need to choose a different Libreelec build where it is supported. There are about 20 different versions on Libreelec for the VIM’s and I know for a fact that boot to internal is a feature of most of them.

The latest version of Coreelec 8.90.1 no longer has Reboot to Internal.

Shoog

Finally, solve it.
Add this to favourites.xml

<favourites>
	<favourite name="Boot to AndroidTV at next reboot" >System.ExecWait("/usr/sbin/rebootfromnand")</favourite>
</favourites>

Reboot libreelec so that new favourites is updated.
In favourite, you should see new favourite entry. Select it. Nothing will happen, dont worry.
Then choose Reboot from power menu. It will reboot to emmc.

2 Likes

New image KVIM (s905x) KODI-18 20180425 (aarch64) .
For now, as a workaround, you can use the menu items “Reboot from NAND” and “Reboot install to eMMC” in two steps.

1. Click on the desired item (there will be no external reaction of the system).
  2. Click the “Reboot” menu item. The system will reboot and simultaneously execute the selected menu item from the first item.

Simplified support for third-party remotes. To use them, just copy the desired settings file for the remote control as /storage/.config/rc_keymaps / remote-ir.conf

3 Likes

Would it be possible to change the wording from reboot from nand to boot from nand at next reboot. That would reduce the chit chat as to why reboot from nand is not working by noobs.

This is a temporary problem, so there’s no point in changing. Also, I plan to move the installation item to the LE system settings menu (but it won’t be fast).

Due to the fact that from the current moment, the options images S905\S912 fully replace all possible options KVIM\KVIM2, on the website there will be images with the name S905\S912. As part of these images, there is everything you need to run on VIM and VIM2. Ie for VIM (S905X) you need to use images S905 , and for VIM2 image S912. Please note that no additional steps are required to configure the image (copy dtb or remote control file), everything you need is available in the new versions of images S905\s912.

Added Libreelec images 20180425 for S912 (VIM2).

Duplicates information from this thread. This may help users understand what happens when they install LE on the eMMC in the future.

If the media has “dtb.img”, then first install in the eMMC there is replaced by the dtb, the new version (the new "dtb.img " is written instead of the previous one in eMMC). Description of the layout of the partitions in the eMMC in the new dtb, may not coincide with the description in the dtb, which was in eMMC. Therefore, if you encounter startup problems after installing into the eMMC, you must perform a re-installation (without changing the “dtb.img”), what would reinstalling the recorded data in the correct sections.

What is dTV support like in these builds ?
How does your build differ from the latest Coreelec 8.90.1 builds ?

Shoog

I didn’t check.

Coreelec is a fork from Libreelec, so you’d better learn from the Coreelec authors what changes they made after the fork.

I am always willing to try new builds but that was not very enticing.
The Coreelec team have gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to support both the VIM2 dTV board and to ensure excellent support for the VIM2 hardware. It works very well at this stage after many refinements so I would have to have a good reason to try another branch. Didn’t find that reason yet.

Shoog

Show me where I talked you into trying out my builds. You came into my topic and began to ask questions about another system. I will respond to them. And now, you’re trying to present this as an excuse to try my build …
You are satisfied with Coreelec - use of health, nobody forbids you not persuaded to abandon it.

I specifically duplicate in my native language what I wrote above, whatever You then did not try to present it again in its interpretation.

Я специально дублирую на родном мне языке то, что написал выше, что-бы Вы потом не пытались опять преподнести это в своей трактовке.

Покажите мне, где я вас уговаривал попробовать мои сборки. Это вы пришли в мою тему и стали задавать вопросы о другой системе. Я вам ответил на них. А теперь, вы пытаетесь преподнести это, как уговоры вас попробовать мою сборку …
Вас устраивает Coreelec - пользуйтесь на здоровье, вам ни кто не запрещает и не уговаривает отказываться от нее.

You never asked me to try your build, but I need a reason beyond pure curiosity.

Shoog

Maybe you didnt understand. Let me rephrase for you.

Coreelec is a fork of libreelec. Which means that it want to add features which libreelec developers wont add or are currently low priority to add.

So instead of asking here of anything new, why dont you ask Coreelec team, what features they want to add so bad that they fork libreelec and gone to a hell of a lot of trouble. Also, this is libreelec for khadas vim fork by balbes150 and not libreelec forum. Why would anyone want to discuss libreelec here.

If Coreelec is so great and all powerful, why did you seek other builds?

In open source world, nothing is perfect. You just have to find the best and make use of it? Didnt like it? Want more features? Fix it or wait for a fix.

The Coreelec team forked because the Libreelec team were making decisions which made the AMLogic chips underperform and they refused to accept fixes to those issues. It seems that any Libreelec build will face those issues with the VIM’s and so it will involve reinventing the wheel to fix them. That seems like a hell of a lot of wasted effort when contributing to that project would be productive.

The self same question was asked on the Libreelec forum by another user to a similar response.

There is no preaching going on here - just genuine questions about what is on offer and why. I know that bables150 has done great work on the VIM1 Libreelec builds in the past - but things have moved along and like it or not Coreelec is currently where it is at with regard to running Kodi on AMLogic box.

If there is a genuinely better option on offer from Bables150’s Libreelec then thats great, but if it hasn’t got the latest optimizations for the Khadas dTV board rolled by afl1 then its a none runner. Bables150 couldn’t answer my question on that.

The only attitude seems to be coming my way. Shame.

Shoog

I am very interested to know about the problems that have made Amlogic chip ineffective in LE. Can you give examples ?

You got an answer to that question over at the libreelec forum.

This isn’t really productive for anyone.

I can’t understand the tone here?! Coreelec is a good idea, but doing fork of the fork … and to argu the guy who did almost everything different from the official Khadas images is not helping! balbes150’s alpha build of Leia is more reliable than last build of “official” Coreelec! What the f**k - coreelec official?! Are you guys serious? I spend this Sunday to play with Coreelec only because of your dispute here and i completely lost my time for nothing! One suggestion from my side: use some know how from balbes150 for the next coreelec release!

Coreelec 8.90.1 on VIM2 is working as reliably as the mature Jarvis and Krypton builds running on my other boxes. It runs the dTV almost flawlessly. As it is at the moment I would accept it as a finished build for day to day use.

This is just noise at this stage since its not contributing to anything productive. there seems a tendency among users and developers to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation and its ugly and offputting.

Stefan as to your vspecific problem I told you that you would have to run the InstalltoInternal twice to get it to work and you seem to have ignored that advice, but also that if it failed it was up to you because the developers specifically advise against using it and will not offer support for those who run into problems. It is intended to run off USB or SD card and it is a favour to people such as myself that they reintroduced it - at my own risk to use.

I wish that I could have used a mature Krypton build from the start and avoid all of this shit - but the lack of support for the dTV card forced me to go Alpha Leia. I am more than grateful to the Coreelec team who were the only ones to grasp the nettle and get this dTV card fully supported outside of Android - they deserve respect for their hard work.

Choose whatever build works for you and live with your choice with gratitude to the developer that worked for you.

Thats all I will say on the matter.

Shoog