Krescue - take full control of your VIM device! easy way to install ANY OS! + back/restore your system

Thanks for the great tool Hyphop.

I was able to clone the image of the emmc in my VIM2 that was stuck in a reboot loop. I have the rescued image file now.

So how do I mount this compressed image so that I can get the files I need out of it? I have tried a couple of methods using cloop and squash but couldn’t get them to work.

Thank you

1 Like

dump image its just raw data compressed by gzip
u can decompress it gzip -dc you.image.gz > image.raw

we have many tools for repairing ! but u need some skills for mount and extract data or change it!!!

best way its a make backup from workable system :wink: and restore this backup

PS: i can make some recomendation for u ! plz say which broken system u have - android or linux ?

1 Like

I had CoreELEC installed in the emmc and neither android (as far as i know) nor linux. At some point CoreELEC attempted to auto update to a new version and after that my VIM2 would just continually reboot.

I want to just open the image to get at all my custom settings and merge them with a new updated CoreELEC version I have installed on USB (which runs perfectly) and them move that all to emmc again.

Hmmm… I see what you mean. having decompressed and mounted that image it really IS a raw disk image.

Sadly though, I do not have a backup of this system. I got it going recently and have been to busy to back it up. Lesson learned in that regard. I might just have to take the time and redo everything manually.

Still I am interested in learning how to rescue this system from the situation I find myself in for future reference. I’d like to hear your recommendations.

Thanks

@hyphop Would it be possible to incorporate KBI in to Krescue?
Thanks for the great work.

2 Likes

Yes krescue have kbi support !
Now we can change bootmode and portmode only!
Later I can complete full kbi controls

5 Likes

Thanks. It would be helpful for some if it included Boot Trigger Event control. Many do not have a serial to USB tool for making KBI changes.

Would also be nice if Boot Trigger Event could be added to Android settings, but that is for a different topic.:laughing:

3 Likes

New version’s added features appreciated.
Thanks for your continuing efforts on Krescue hyphop.

3 Likes

Yea I actually need to do a new krescue video soon! @hyphop is busying himself with adding some online-ROM-download feature. In the meantime, I am testing out the passive heatsink.

3 Likes

How to start krescue?? I have vim3l htpc with coreelec on mmc.

Hello, I don’t have the VIM3L. For the VIM3, I press and hold the power button, while holding it, press reset button for 2 seconds, continue to hold power for 5 seconds and release.
Some VIMs can start Krescue by pressing the function bottom 3 times in 2 seconds.
One of these methods should work for you.

This is only needed the first time Krescue is run. After the first run, simply inserting the card will boot Krescue.

I have blinking blue led and just coreelec start. No rescue.

krescue boot from SD

VIM3 VIM3L

• unplug usb cable
  • insert SD card with Krescue ( be sure u write proper device version **)
  • press and hold POWER_KEY
  • plug usb cable and wait LED blinking after u can unpress POWER_KEY
  • ok Krescye system bootup from SD

NOTE: be sure usb cable powered from adapter not from PC

VIM3 VIM3L usb otg mode powered from PC

same as previous , but usb plug in host machine

need plug usb cable in two steps on host side

• power without data pin connection - just slowly plug about 1/3 length usb header - before powerup
  • wait blinking leds and plug usb cable for full length for activate data pins

** krescue for VIM3L - https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/dump/VIM3L.krescue.sd.img.gz

NOTE: plz download and use last krescue images!!!

2 Likes

Nope. Vim3l start coreelec. When i press 3x function button blinking blue led start and again coreelec is booting. And with power button there is no blue led at all.

Plz read instructions!!! Triple press work only for VIM1 VIM2

1 Like

Oh okay, I should change the documentation. @Jaffac where did you figure out that you could press the Function key 3 times for VIM3L? I’ll have to change this, thank you :smile:

1 Like

Ok I have fixed the bad link above. How to Boot into MaskROM Mode should point to:

2 Likes

FIXED! plz download last Krescue images https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/dump/
because images changes every day

5 Likes

you did a great job hyphop :wink:

1 Like

some OS images for installation via krescue

5 Likes