Krescue - take full control of your VIM device! easy way to install ANY OS! + back/restore your system

yes ) u can restore .img or .img.xz or .img.gz not only from SD - same can use USB drivers or network samba as storage for images

@RDFTKV I believe that solves the question…

If you want a short video showing the process i can still make it later…

So I can use the standard Khadas firmware files like the ones found here?

I have tried those files, both as downloaded(uncompressed) and as the extracted update.img. Copied to Krescue’s downloads folder. In both cases I was unable to see those files when running SD to eMMC.
How can I use the standard Khadas firmware files to flash the SBC from Krescue?

̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶b̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶V̶I̶M̶/̶E̶d̶g̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶K̶h̶a̶d̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶m̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶(̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶.̶i̶m̶g̶)̶. :slightly_smiling_face:

Update: To avoid reader confusion, this cannot be done.

guys, I’ll wait for more information from you!
:wink::slightly_smiling_face:

no no no !!! img extension say nothing about image format ! andoid img absolutly not raw img

1 Like

Yes, that was my belief.

Thanks.

Some question:
If making a backup of Khadas Edge-V Basic firmware with 16GB emmc, can it be restored on the Khadas Edge-V Pro with 32GB ROM with correct free space or will only 16GB space be seen on the emmc?
And if you make a backup of the 32GB ROM Khadas Edge-V Pro, can it be restored on the 16GB ROM Khadas Edge-V Basic cutting of the free space?

1 Like

I believe the first one, may have a slim chance as there needs to be re-partitioning of the storage (not sure how it works in android but linux might be easy with gparted etc…)

the second method is surely not possible…
since the format is like a container, it will just put everything back in the same place where it was originally, It will cause data errors if the bigger backup is used in the smaller eMMC.

Simply just use the Krescue backup on the device which had the same Flash memory capacity.

ubuntu /linux images must works if u restore to bigger emmc -
if OS have resizefs script on startup - fs will be resized to maximal space
if dont u can do it by hands

1 Like

Hi,
with Android a different situation?

Yes, Linux will be easier…
unless maybe such a script is made for android…

Electr1,
you know I am ambiguous about backups, I prefer from scratch, but sometimes it can really help
:wink:

Do have 2 VIMs of different size flash memory ?

what are you trying to say?

:slightly_smiling_face:

It will apply in the case if you have both VIM3 pro and VIM3 basic…
and you want a common backup…

mo123 makes public firmware for Android, and the question was not accidental, you know?

Yes, It is a good question, I had a similar question but was with SD card images, eMMC images are of a different level…

it’s easier for you, you only do for yourself, you have the right to make mistakes
:wink:

What is the minimum SD card to use for Krescue?

I have some 1 gig cards i was going to use to keep a back up but i wonder if i make an image of the eMMc i might need larger then 1 gig?

Say i make a back up of Vim3L 2/16 will i need a minimum of 16gig card for that board? Or is the Krescue image small and doesnt need very much space? will 1gig hole Krescue and a large eMMc image?

I know Krescue puts eMMc image file on same disk as Krescue but a different partition?