Khadas VIM3 is launching on 24 June!

POE can be good for its needs
I recall adapters/power injectors are not to expensive nowadays.

2 Likes

I think PoE is awesome for those building large-area wi-fi networks. It is a convenient way to use ethernet to link up the repeater nodes. @Gouwa has got plans for “stackable VIM3s”, working in a cluster, PoE would help solve the wiring issues as well. @Urajmal what is a “network guide”?

1 Like

Very nice. It is a bit a design of comprimizes. I don’t think you can do much beter with the S922X. It’s an immense powerful CPU, but in I/O it’s lacking a lot.

There were talks about it having an NPU. This doesn’t seem to be in the recent info. Is that removed? Or for another model reserved? I’m interested in that. I also heard a lot of an Edge-V with the RK3399Pro. Did that ever see light?

I used to be a neural network programmer so these things interest me a lot. In 2000 I worked on neural network machines 10 000x more expensive, and many times less powerul than what there’s now.

It does look great, too bad I’ve already got the Odroid N2.
@Gouwa If you guys would like me to make a great extensive review video about it, please contact me.
Good luck with it, I love seeing new gear.

Greetings, NicoD

1 Like

Does Wi-Fi work with the mainline linux kernel?

The PoE benefits a lot of advantages:

• Plug’nPlay
  • Of course stacking of more devices on network and no need for extra power supply
  • One cable for power & ethernet (also 1Gbit/s and up), easy instaling, low cost UTP cables
  • Remote Hard Reset
  • Powering with 3rd party appliances aka PoE Routers / Switches
  • Long distance powering
  • Remote upgrading devices - Always on
  • Up to 50W and more over the same cable

Devices with PoE comes usually with one PoE injector and one power adapter. Since not anyone is using PoE additional cost beside PoE port on device itself is only PoE injector and additional UTP cable (optional).
Greetings.

2 Likes

Does Wi-Fi work with the mainline linux kernel?

BCM4359 has PCIe support in the mainline kernel but not SDIO - so there is currently no support for the chip - but the story has more nuances. The Android device responsible for driving the current g12a upstreaming activity also has the same chip and it’s possible to patch the out-of-tree bcmdhd driver from Amlogic buildroot into kernel sources (with some patches) as a workaround. In the longer-term the problem with the in-kernel brcmfmac driver needs to be investigated and resolved. The device-tree I concocted for a VIM3 prototype the other day contains everything needed to trigger the brcmfmac nvram/firmware loading (and BT works fine) but the WiFi firmware fails to load. The problem has been reported to the linux-wireless maintainers last October and was partially investigated. Unfortunately the person who reported the problem had a deadline to meet for a project and ended up switching to a different module to meet timescales, and at that point the investigation stalled and there was no conclusion.

5 Likes

@Kingsley will add you into our potential reviewers list! :smiley:

The VIM3 itself won’t have an NPU, it is going be a VIM3*, where * stands for “something”.

We couldn’t squeeze an RK3399Pro into a credit card sized form-factor, and the thermal requirements alone would have been a nightmare. So @Gouwa decided, based on 80/20 difficulty rule, to go with a smaller-sized Amlogic SoC for the NPU.

We would happily use the RK3399Pro for ODM projects, if anyone has a need - however it won’t have a “VIM Form Factor” design, likely be something larger, with a bulky heatsink.

2 Likes

Just putting it out here, perhaps for clustering applications it would be useful to have a VIM3 variant made without Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, nor an eMMC, with the addition of PoE.

I’m thinking that for cluster applications, if the OS dies, you just want swap out the TF-card, or if you’re installing the OS to multiple devices, a bulk-TF-card flasher is what you would use.

Obviously, with PoE, you would not want Wi-Fi, nor Bluetooth, and the TF-card renders an eMMC redundant.

5 Likes

Could not agree more for those using device in such a way! So maybe there should be also the 5th version :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your extensive answer.
I also had wondered how the RK3399PRO would fit in a small form factor. The thermals of the S922x are exceptional compared to the RK3399. 12nm vs 28 nm seems to make a huge difference.
I really would love to review The VIM3. Here is my Youtube Channel NicoD
I’ve bought and reviewed the Khadas Vim2 Max. The S922x is a way better SoC than the S912. So it will be an awesome board.
Greetings, NicoD

3 Likes

For cluster variations there is a lot you could take off, you could even take the TF card out and put a minimal image on the SPI flash and remote boot it using NFS. You could also power over the USB socket and use USB networking. A minimal depopulated board version for clusters would be amazing - and depending on price point I suspect you would sell quite a few as well!

@Gouwa if youve got plans here I would be interesting in chatting - been working on some stuff!

4 Likes

Hi khadas,

What oscillator are you using on the vim 3 (and what frequency) ? I wonder if it could fit both 44.1 khz and 48 khz audio data through i2s (which ought to be an issue on the Rpi3) ?
Despite the S922 features, will we be able to send out more than 2 audio (numerical) channel though i2s considering your hardware desing ?

regards

The oscillator for SoC is 24MHz.

The I2S support up to 384KHz, more details as below:

And for VIM3 we leave two channels I2S over:

• M.2 Connector: support 8 ch, can be used for Mic Array
  • 40-pin GPIO: support 4 ch, can be sued for Speaker

VIM3 M.2 Connector Pinout

VIM3 40-PIN Header Pinout

Good day!

2 Likes

This option is VIM 3
No bluetooth, wi-fi, mmc card and perfect this idea.
Contact that has khadas VTV support. dvb-s / dvb-c.
Great idea!
And an optional for all tastes and pockets
Well paid for accessories that do not use great for the budget of many people.
I particulary do not use bluetooth, wi-fi, mmc card.

1 Like

I think the same.I don’t want Bluetooth.I want it to be VTV

2 Likes

Another detail I do not see any need on 4 USB ports.
Just 2 and enough a 2.0 another 3.0

2 Likes

@Gouwa It would be great if the new Tone Board support I2S input via the VIM edition.

Will that in your roadmap for the new toneboard?

1 Like

Yep, the VIM3 support KTB Khadas Tone Board, but over USB on the 40-pin GOIO header not I2S.

Good day!

2 Likes

As for VTV…rather say TV…I would like to see ATSC with Clear QAM for the Americas.

4 Likes

Hi guys,

We’re still waiting for the cost-prices of a few components to settle before announcing the confirmed price to everyone - hence there was no email update yesterday.

Stay tuned!

5 Likes