Khadas VIM3 is launching on 24 June!

Hi Everyone!

@Gouwa has got some good news:

Our VIM3 SBC with the Amlogic A311D SoC will be launching on 24 June!

#VIM3 Launch Pricing:

VIM3 Basic (2 / 16GB): $69.99

VIM3 Pro (4 / 32GB): $99.99

Access to the discount coupon for our special VIM3 launch price will end on 24 June 2019.

Stocks for our first production batch are limited, not everyone will be able to get #VIM3 at these low prices. Take part in our contest to reserve your VIM3 Basic / Pro at $69.99 or $99.99 respectively.

Help us out by sharing #VIM3 with your friends, and discussing in this forum thread!

Core Features:

+ Faster CPU Performance: Big-little architecture. x4 2.2Ghz high-performance Cortex-A73 cores, paired with x2 1.8Ghz efficiency Cortex-A53 cores.

+ Neural Processing Unit for A.I.: Next generation, deep-neural-network applications, at 5.0 TOPS.

+ Switchable PCIe and USB 3.0: Use the Khadas KBI to switch the “combo interface” to either the USB-3.0 port or PCIe interface.

+ USB-C Power Delivery: Wide-range of power input, from 5-20V for power-hungry applications, e.g. Microphone Array and Speakers.

+ Dual Independent Displays: HDMI and MIPI-DSI, with 3-axis digital accelerometer for display rotation detection.

+ Dual Cameras: 4 lane MIPI-CSI, up to 8MP ISP, with 30 Pin 0.5mm Pitch FPC Connector

Supported OSes:

• Mainline Linux (Linux 5.0+)
  • Mainline U-Boot
  • Ubuntu 18.04+ / Armbian
  • LibreELEC (Kodi GBM + Linux 5.1), thanks @chewitt
  • Android Pie 9.0

Description:

The VIM3 SBC is the latest addition to our popular Khadas VIM series. It is equipped with the powerful Amlogic A311D SoC, based on the big-little CPU architecture: x4 Cortex A73 performance-cores clocked at 2.2Ghz, and x2 Cortex A53 efficiency-cores clocked at 1.8Ghz, are merged into a hexa-core configuration, and fabricated with a 12nm process to maximise performance, thermal and electrical efficiency.

VIM3 is designed with the same form-factor as our popular VIM2 and VIM1. It is the size of a credit-card, with all I/O ports located on one-side. Although diminutive, VIM3 is competitively-priced and fully-featured; everything you need is already built-in. The Pro-model comes with onboard 4GB LPDDR4/4X RAM, 32GB of EMMC storage and 2T2R 802.11ac Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 5.0.

In addition, VIM3 comes with unique features designed for our customers. Digital-signage developers will love the onboard programmable MCU, MIPI-CSI for connecting to cameras, real-time clock and wake-on-lan functionality. We’ve also included a tri-axis digital accelerometer to detect signage orientation. The M2X Extension Board will provide additional developer options such as power-over-ethernet, dual-ethernet, 4G and GPIO.

The new VIM3 SBC also goes beyond what our original VIM models have to offer. It has an onboard 5.0 TOPS NPU for neural network applications, an M.2 slot for NVMe SSDs that can switch between PCIe and USB 2.0 via Khadas KBI commands, and a USB-C port with 5-20 volt USB power-delivery input. Connect with up to 2 independent displays via HDMI and MIPI-DSI, one of which may be touch-enabled using the built-in TP connector.

Wondering what happened to S922X? Check out this blog post.

Resources For Bloggers:

VIM3 A311D 4K Photographs: Perspective, Top, Bottom
VIM3 A311D Social Sharing Images: 720P, 1080P, 4K
M2X Extension 4K Photographs: Perspective, Top, Bottom, Attached
VIM3 A311D v11 Specifications: Download PDF
VIM3 A311D v11 Raw Performance Numbers - Download PDF
VIM3 A311D v11 Edge-V Pro / Odroid-N2 (4GB) / Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) Comparison - Download PDF
VIM3 A311D v11 CPU Stress Test - Screenshot
LibreELEC on VIM3 Pro: Photograph by @chewitt

A311D #VIM3 Unboxing & Reviews:

A311D #VIM3 Blog Articles:

S922X #VIM3 Blog Articles:

Compatible Accessories:

• New VIM Heatsink
  • 3705 Cooling Fan
  • Khadas Tone Board
  • DIY Case
  • Metal Plate
  • IR-Remote
  • Multi-Touch LCD
  • USB-C (male-to-male) Cable
  • USB-C 24W Adapter (with USB PD)
  • HDMI 2.0 Cable
  • USB-C (2.0 to C) Cable
  • M2X Extension (PoE, +1 Ethernet, 4G, SSD, GPIO in one extension board)

VIM3 Poll:

Warmly,
You Jun
Khadas Team

Main Contact Email: hello@khadas.com
Alternate Contact Email: khadas.wesion@gmail.com

Khadas Official Channels:

14 Likes

And the option without eMMC is planned ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow!!!
That’s great!!!

1 Like

It’ll be a nice board and s922x seems really powerful!

How many lanes for nvme slot? Is it the single lane PCIe?
Do you plan to have a price competing with Odroid N2?

1 Like

It’s one lane PCIe 2.0 due to the SoC itself only support one lane PCIe, but we also design USB 2.0 on the M.2 connector:

Good day!

2 Likes

there’s no VIN (Extra Power Input) port?

1 Like

Yep, VIN connector is cancelled from the new VIM2.

May I know that your application of the VIN?

Thanks!

40 pin gpio support dvb ts interface a and b (twin tuner support), can we use vtv board?

Hi Hakan:
The VIM3 don’t support vTV board(currently, only VIM2 support it).

Good day!

hi, what is the GPU present in this s922x please ? I hope hardware acceleration on mainline linux will be easier to obtain than in vim1…

1 Like

It is a Mali G52. The good news is that there should be a wayland driver for linux: https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/03/27/odroid-n2-gpu-drivers-linux-5-0-and-impressive-glmarks-es2-score/

1 Like

a really big drawback.

Sound exciting with all Wifi + pcie + S922X. :kissing_heart:
I will also prefer external emmc module socket.

1 Like

Hi You Jun,
Congrats to you and the rest of the Khadas team for what looks to be yet another very excellent board!

@Gouwa I’d be proud to have the opportunity to port NEMS Linux to Khadas boards (including the VIM3). If I could get my hands on some samples, I could get started on that and also would be happy to do some unboxing and review videos on Category5 Technology TV. Please let me know what you think.

Keep up the great work!!

4 Likes

Looks very nice.
Congratulations with it @Gouwa and the Khadas team.
I’ve got the Odroid N2 with the S922x. It’s a great SoC, amazingly fast. Great power characteristics. And it’s coolable too.
Too bad from the lesser I/O possibilities. But you seem to have found a good middle way with the switcheable PCIe.
Do you have any more information about that NPU please? And any picture from the underside would be welcome.
Good luck with production and sales.
Greetings, NicoD

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for, since the Raspberry Pi 3 has not enough power for my needs. Even if this device might be overpowered for my project, you may be able to answer my question?

“Will this device come with Kodi (Mediacenter) support and possibly also Hyperion drivers?”

Actually I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi as a media center plus having “Hyperion” running to power my DIY ambilight LEDs. As the LEDs are connected to the GPIO pins, other devices with more power but the lack of GPIO pins were not suitable for this project. I’d like to upgrade to a more powerful device which is able to play 4K videos AND having the support of GPIO pins. Currently I am using a Tanix TX5 Pro device to play back 4K, but unfortunately no GPIO pins are available to power the home made Ambilight. Remote control of the LEDs with any kind of Boblight etc. does also not work as I expect. (The Tanix TX5 Pro uses a AML 905X chip, at least Kodi is absolutely possible there using LibreElec)

So maybe a unusual question, but if this device can handle both needs, it can be a very big player in the Hyperion Project community.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, please do a comparison between your offer and this https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram/ and tell us how better is vim3 (for us diyers)
Thanks

1 Like

I’m not an expert on GPIO, but LibreELEC will be guaranteed to work on VIM3 (I know that for sure). In addition, I hope will be a package KODI for Linux distributions with kernel 5.x (Armbian ArchLinux etc) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry for newbie question.
I think the performance of VIM3 would be better than VIM1/2, but how about comparing with Edge-V? What is the main difference between these 2 SBCs?

1 Like

The CPU & GPU performance: VIM3 > Edge-V

The Edge-V with richer IO like:

• eDP
  • USB-C 3.0 with DP display (VIM3 with USB2.0 OTG and not DP display feature)
  • Dual Channel MIPI-DSI (VIM3 with one channel up to 1920*1080)
  • x4 PCIe (VIM3 with x1 PCIE 2.0)

I will do a comparisons table with more details later.

Update:
Edge-V, VIM3 and Odroid-N2 comparison table is available in the initial post.

Good day!

5 Likes