Khadas VIM3 is launching on 24 June!

Problem = NVMe SSD is larger than the VIM3 board form factor :frowning:

Electronics Engineer solution = make an expensive carrier board!

Mechanical Engineer solution = make a cheap case that provides the capitve points needed to hold the board and the ā€œoverhangingā€ NVMe SSD ā€¦ and also solves the problem that board + SSD needs a new case design anyway (as the current Khadas plastic-kids-toy case is too small).

IMHO the low-tech solution is often better then the high-tech solution.

3 Likes

Well, the two pictures clearly answer the following questions:

• Why increasing costs by adding PoE to the Extension Board?
  • Why increasing costs by adding mPCIe M.2 Key A in ā€˜USB onlyā€™ fashion?
  • Do you really think people wanting to benefit from rather slow NVMe storage are the same people who need also PoE and WWAN modems all at the same time?

Edit: just realized that itā€™s not even mPCIe but M.2 Key A to ensure that close to nothing can be inserted into this slot.

@tsangyoujun
When does the shipping begin? Looking forward for my tracking number. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @meprateek,

I went with the guys to the SMT factory on Saturday, and production is chugging along smoothly.

We will be meeting the 10th August deadline, and shipping out will commence this coming Monday (not today, next Monday).

@hyphop can post his factory video, when heā€™s ready. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great News Guys !!!
Excited for the Vim3

2 Likes

The 1st batch of 1000 VIM3 v12 units are complete. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dont think that this fan port will support 3004 fan :frowning:
oh and the 3705 fan have 4 screw holes.

Yep, the 4 pin cooling fan header design with PWM control, and the 2PIN as voltage drive for 3004 cooling fan.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not just POE, that port can also just be used as a second ethernet port for a router setup on your network. in terms of the m.2x expansion adapter most others donā€™t have the rigid cable they just have a flimsy ribbon cable quite frankly Iā€™d get this for some of my RockPi 4 boards just for the far superior build quality. The speed of the m.2 port isnā€™t great but itā€™s also just a 1x land so the speeds are what they are, again youā€™ll need the RK3399 chip for the faster gex3x speeds. Hopefully the board will just support m.2 non NVME drives as well, but as I donā€™t have one canā€™t test that yet. may some that does will chime in. I do agree that the mobile card slot could be gotten rid of or have two different versions

2 Likes

Impossible. This would require an additional PCIe SATA controller and there is none. Anyway, the fact that the VIM form factor is too small for a M.2 2280 SSD doesnā€™t explain Khadasā€™ obsession to create rather expensive add-ons instead of simple and cheap solutions as @chewitt already said.

Well it is a dev board after all so feel free to create your own solution for an m.2 NVME card holder slot. Iā€™m pretty sure you could use the one that Radxa has for the Rock Pi 4. hole might not line up but Iā€™m wiling to bet at least 2 of them do.

VIM3 v12 SMT Factory Video:
58%20PM
YouTube

I did the editing, and @hyphop did the shooting (of the video).

4 Likes

Motivating video for those who have ordered a vim3

1 Like

Itā€™s like Christmas in the office.

7 Likes

Any shipping uupdates? Kindly share.
Thanks!

We began to arrange shipment from this Monday, and we will complete all the packages(~1K) before 15th August.

You should get the tracking number soon.

Thanks for the order and have fun!

3 Likes

love the video - the geek in me loves watching these kind of production lines!

Cant wait to get my hands on them - really pleased with the evaluation board i already have!

2 Likes

Mmm Iā€™ll let @hyphop know that we need to make more geeky videos. And Iā€™ll tone down the marketing spunk. :laughing:

3 Likes

Good Idea more Videos, I can live with Pink outfits :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes i have many ideas about geeks video , we will try to do something lil later )
and we wait yours interesting ideas about this )

4 Likes