Khadas vim3 general questions

@Veins_of_Games could you elaborate, what kind of system lag.

Yes! Before suspending, the system runs all applications smoothly. However, after waking up from suspend mode, the entire system experiences a significant slowdown. For example, opening applications and navigating through the user interface take much longer than usual, almost as if the system is struggling.

For example, in Ubuntu, the mouse moves smoothly and applications open quickly before suspend. After suspend, the mouse starts working with noticeable delays, and opening applications takes much longer than usual.

@Veins_of_Games you noticed this lag in the vim3-ubuntu-22.04-server-linux-6.1-fenix-1.4-221229.img image ?

I will check it out.

Yes, exactly.
It seems to be something wrong with the u-boot, because I tried running the u-boot from this image vim3-ubuntu-24.04-gnome-linux-5.15-fenix-1.6.9-240618-emmc.img from the mmc and the kernel (6.1.0) and rootfs (Buildroot) from the sdcard and it works perfect, no lag, everything is smooth. The problem is when I use the u-boot from here vim3-ubuntu-22.04-server-linux-6.1-fenix-1.4-221229.img`` u-boot 2021.04.
I’m kinda confused

Ok I found a new thing: here is the power consumption data while an app is open, showing the values before and after suspend:

Before Suspend:

Idle (app open and running without interaction): 3.07W
Moving (interaction with the app, such as sliding): 3.22W

After Suspend:

Idle (app open and running without interaction): 2.87W
Moving (interaction with the app, such as sliding): 2.92W

It seems like something is not waking up properly after suspend.

Hi @Electr1 do you have any news about this?

Thank you!

@Veins_of_Games apologies for the delay, I could notice the issue in the image, it’s quite glitchy.
Need to check with the latest images and check the differences.

I will test it out and get back to you on this.

Thank you! I recommend to check the u-boot, I was a able to make it work by using:
U-boot 2015.01 in MMC (From the image I mentioned before)
Kernel 6.1.y from Khadas in SD CARD
File system from Buildroot in SD CARD

By doing this, the suspend/wake up works perfect.

Sadly, I can’t go to production like this because, I can’t handle the u-boot.

Hope you can find the solution! Thank you

Hi @Electr1 @numbqq
Can you confirm if this image actually doesn’t have console output via HDMI? (It only shows the kernel logo, nothing else)

vim3-ubuntu-24.04-server-linux-5.15-fenix-1.6.9-240618-emmc

If the answer is yes, how can I enable the console output via HDMI?

Thank you.

No, it should have hdmi output normally. Do you have issues?

With this image

vim3-ubuntu-24.04-server-linux-5.15-fenix-1.6.9-240618-emmc

And also i tried with the ones from Fenix

Minimal
Server

I only see the kernel logo, even when the board already boot up to ubuntu, the screen keep showing the kernel logo and never shows the CLI.

@Veins_of_Games do you have any login session on the serial console when noticing this issue ?

@Electr1 I tried both, with login session (via UART) and with only the HDMI connected, both result in kernel logo and never the CLI

@Veins_of_Games sorry for the delay, was unwell to look into this, will check this soon.

Regards.

Hi @Electr1

Do you have any news about this?

Thank you!

Hi @Veins_of_Games I couldn’t replicate your situation on my side after trying, maybe @numbqq can provide a solution for you.

Regards.

What’s the resolution of your screen? Could you provide the below information to us?

cat /proc/cmdline 
cat /sys/class/display/mode
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap 
cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/modes
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/rawedid 

Hi @numbqq ,

Sorry for the delay; I was involved in another project, but we are active again. Could you please confirm which image I should use to try this?

Additionally, I wanted to ask if you or @Electr1 were able to solve or know what can be the problem with the suspend-wake up issue (system lag after waking up).

Before Suspend:

Idle (app open and running without interaction): 3.07W
Moving (interaction with the app, such as sliding): 3.22W

After Suspend:

Idle (app open and running without interaction): 2.87W
Moving (interaction with the app, such as sliding): 2.92W

It has to be something related to the u-boot, but I don’t know what is

Thank you!

Need to check, but we really suggest you don’t use 6.x kernel for your project, you can use the 5.15 kernel image which will have better support.

Should I use the khadas-vims-5.15.y ?
I was using the 6.x kernel from the Khadas official github because the 5.15 throw compiles error on Buildroot