Issues using SD card and M2 on VIM3 + Ubuntu 20

Yes I would agree with this Idea, it is good to ensure Hardware integrity in other firmware as well…

Yes, for understanding, make this backup backup, then immediately return it, if the hardware is ok

Is there any way to test TF card slot from Ubuntu? Perhaps it uses some specific Kernel driver or something that can be checked?

I wouldn’t want to reinstall the device due to several services running on it already :thinking:

You can try booting a different Linux image, it will test whether the TF card slot functioning, but otherwise I am out of Ideas…

ok, can you try booting into Krescue to check the sd slot?

I had troubles with SD card (USB mass storage as well) in the near past which still are not solved.
https://forum.khadas.com/t/tf-card-not-detected-on-vim3-ubuntu-server-focal-linux-4-9-arm64-emmc-v0-9-20200530/8368/18
I know it could seem a nonsense, but in case you don’t have HDMI connected please try to connect a monitor to the board and check if SD works.

2 Likes

@fguerzoni I had faced similar issues in that particular firmware, it seemed like a bug that existed only on firmware made that particular day, It was solved about a week after that, and since then I think none of the current firmware face it :slight_smile:

@Electr1 Thank you for the reply.
Some time ago I also tried to manually build an image with the Fenix scripts in the Docker container.
But I faced the very same issue.
I’ll try again in the next few days.
Regards
F

@fguerzoni try going with an image that is made quite recently, It seems like 20200530 versions had something wrong in the rootfs partition than made everything messed up, it was solved in further revsion

yes, but first we want to understand if the problem is hardware or firmware
:roll_eyes::thinking:

Oddly enough that worked - after I connected monitor through HDMI and restarted VIM3, the same SD card plugged into TF slot is now recognized (mmcblk1p1)!

$ sudo lsblk
[sudo] password for gytis: 
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda            8:0    1 120.3G  0 disk 
└─sda1         8:1    1 120.3G  0 part /media/ld
mmcblk0      179:0    0  29.1G  0 disk 
mmcblk0boot0 179:32   0     4M  0 disk 
mmcblk0boot1 179:64   0     4M  0 disk 
mmcblk0rpmb  179:96   0     4M  0 disk 
mmcblk1      179:128  0  29.8G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk1p1  179:129  0  29.8G  0 part 
zram1        251:1    0 463.5M  0 disk [SWAP]
zram2        251:2    0 463.5M  0 disk [SWAP]
zram3        251:3    0 463.5M  0 disk [SWAP]
zram4        251:4    0 463.5M  0 disk [SWAP]

That suggest there is some trigger to activate TF card slot when HDMI is plugged in? :thinking: @numbqq @Gouwa

In my case USB storage (sda1) works regardless of HDMI, but TF card mmcblk1p1 is totally dependent on it - as soon as I unplug HDMI monitor and restart VIM3, TF card is no longer recognized :thinking:

1 Like

I read somewhere on this forum that due to a bug in rootfs partition during the creation of the image, in the v20200530 version of all ubuntu images, it caused all sorts of problems, Improper mouse detection, TF card not getting recognized etc.

yes, so we suggested checking on other firmware

@Vladimir.v.v It’s a firmware issue.
Same hardware after image switch started to misbehave
From my original post

I’ve just switched from VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20191231 to VIM3_Ubuntu-server-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.
I noticed that the very same TF Card that what was working before the switch on the same board now it doesn’t get detected

@fguerzoni please try a fresh image,
I am going to build a new image for myself (Ubuntu_4.9_Gnome), if you want it I can share it, but will be available by tomorrow GMT 3:00

Good day!

@Electr1 thank you for the offer but currently I have on my desk just a VIM3L board. All VIM3 boards I have are currently on fields, remotely accessible but not easy upgradable.
In the next few days I should have the time to do the test.

Ok, no problem, just make sure to try latest image…
:slight_smile:

@Electr1
I built a new image through Fenix script directly on my pc (no docker).
The issue is still there.
I’ll wait for your results.

===========================================
#VERSION: 0.9.2

#KHADAS_BOARD=VIM3L
#VENDOR=Amlogic
#CHIP=S905D3
#LINUX=4.9
#UBOOT=2015.01
#DISTRIBUTION=Ubuntu
#DISTRIB_RELEASE=focal
#DISTRIB_TYPE=server
#DISTRIB_ARCH=arm64
#INSTALL_TYPE=EMMC

===========================================

Sure, I have built my image, but am quite busy to do tests right now, will share my results later…

@Electr1
Hi, did you find time to do some tests? Have you discovered anything new? Regards