Issue with new m2x extension 4g chip and m.2 ssd

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

newest

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

newest

Please describe your issue below:

hey there - just having an issue - when i turn on the mobile broadband i losing my nvme at /mnt here is what i get back

ls: reading directory ‘.’: Input/output error
total 0

when i purchased my new m2x expansion i posted here to ask if the ssd slot works simultaneously with the 4g chip. its my understanding that they work at the same time. is there something i have to enable for this to work properly? looking to use the vim like a mobile nas but i need the ssd and 4g chip to work at the same time.

any advice? @ivan.li @numbqq

1 Like

Hello @dofthed

Which system you used? Android or Ubuntu ?

running the newest update of linux gnome. is there a test i can run to show you the results?

Hello @dofthed

It should work at the same time.

Please make sure you use our PD adaptor to supply the power and also provide the information below to us.

• dmesg > kernel-log.txt, and provide this file to us
  • Provide the information below
$ lspci
$ ll /dev/nvme*

here is the tests i ran while the mount is working, in my next comment i will post the same info once the mount fails

heres the link for the kernel txt because it is too big to fit in one comment

lspci
00:00.0 PCI bridge: Synopsys, Inc. DWC_usb3 / PCIe bridge (rev 01)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation E16 PCIe4 NVMe Controller (rev 01)

ll /dev/nvme0n1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Mar 10 16:13 /dev/nvme0n1

Hello @dofthed

I didn’t see any errors from the kernel log. With current kernel log the NVMe SSD doesn’t work?

Could you please provide more information?

$ sudo blkid
$ ls -al /dev/nvme*
$ mount

so here are some results from after the setup fails, anything in here look wrong? looks like it unmounts because of smb or the sim card being turned on

sudo blkid (after)
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="BOOT" UUID="e437c002-1fc6-4601-a713-b44666694ddd" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="dd040000-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="ROOTFS" UUID="89d92317-0215-442a-97c6-94b5c744bed9" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="dd040000-02"
/dev/zram3: UUID="cd81bebc-5d72-4068-a30e-a9b13f63969f" TYPE="swap"
/dev/zram1: UUID="2b7dde8c-8325-4dc6-aa1f-de2da0fef96c" TYPE="swap"
/dev/zram4: UUID="edce14ac-9eba-42b8-95cf-ba133caec8a6" TYPE="swap"
/dev/zram2: UUID="58b16d62-4916-456b-bf30-84a492b688ec" TYPE="swap"

ls -al /dev/nvme0n1 (after)
ls: cannot access '/dev/nvme0n1': No such file or directory

mount (after)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=3964112k,nr_inodes=991028,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=794388k,mode=755)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600,data=writeback)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /run/credentials/systemd-sysusers.service type ramfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime)
/dev/nvme0n1 on /mnt/larry type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600,x-gvfs-hide)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=794384k,nr_inodes=198596,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Hello @dofthed

I found some errors about the NVMe SSD from the log. What’s the model you SSD you used?

ive got the Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0, what is the best recommended 2tb hard drive i can buy?

Western Digital 570, WD Red sn700, samsung 970 evo. All are strong performers and we use them on servers and desktops without any problems. If you are logging or file serving use the WD Red sn700.

okay ill order one of these and get back to you with my results! are the 4tb versions supported as well?

That I don’t know, we did not need that much capacity so they are not tested. I would assume they would work the same.

okay cool i will report back with my results, 4tb nvmes are pretty expensive but i think worth it for my mobile nas / hotspot build

Yes, please do so.

Are you in USA and if so what company are you using for the mobile broadband service?

ive got a t mobile sim card, everything seems to be working on the mobile broadband side. got a Western Digital 570 and WD Red sn700. still waiting on the samsung evo. so far everything ive tested gives me the input/output error and i have to unplug the unit or i cant see the drive when i restart. any idea what i can do to get the vim4 to read the drive? then i can format and start testing

With the NVMe connected

$ blkid -o list

Have you added the drive to /etc/fstab?

the issue is that the vim does not see the ssd - blkid and sudo nvme list shows me an empty result. i also can not get it to show up in gparted in the desktop app

I don’t have one in front of me at the moment, do recall a software switch to change that over. It should be in the “show applications”.
Also, if you have a heat sink on it be sure it is not shorting out the parts located near the connector. If that all checks out the adapter board might be the problem.

Not sure if $ nvme list will show the drive if its not mounted. It does not work in a VM that I am on at the present and I know the host is NVMe.

gparted is very good and it should acknowledge the drive even if its not mounted. Do you have another adapter board to try?

i see. nvme works fine without the new m2x adapter. does khadas offer a warranty? i would love to be able to swap