Is it possible to solder a USB Type-B connector on the tone board?

Hello

I was wondering if it would be possible to solder a USB Type-B connector on the tone board.

For instance by using pins 2-5 on the VIM header.

Or on the pins 1-5 on the GPIO header.

Would that be possible?

Of the USB cable directly.

thanks and best regards

Hello, I would think so. If you can wait, I have the VIM version with the GPIO header mounted. Tonight, I will connect thru GPIO USB and let you know what I find.

Update: Yes, connecting TB thru the GPIO pads will work with the configuration you have indicated in your post. While I had no B type connector, used type A cable, I assume as long as the wires are connected correctly, B should also work.
If you solder a USB cable directly to the GPIO pads, it would be a good idea to not allow those leads to be pulled on. Some type of mechanical strain-relief should be used.
Have fun.

TB-usb

6 Likes

Oh nice

But my USB type-B connector is 2.0 so has 4 pins, they are not all on the same row like usb type-A.

Basically 2 rows with 2 pins each.

Which pads on the tone board can i use then? (i want to solder it on top of the upper side of the board)

Do you see your connector’s pinouts here?

Tone Board GPIO pin assignments…
+5 volt Pin 2
DM Pin 3
DP Pin 4
GND Pin 5
Tone Board GPIO…

1 Like

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/usb-overview/

Hey

Thanks very much for your answer.

Now the only problem is that the USB type-B connector that i want to solder has 2 rows of pins, 2 pins per row.

while the GPIO header has the 4 pins that i need all on the same row (in a line).

How can i match the pins?

That would be difficult. Possibly use a USB port with a breakout board. Or use a pigtail from GPIO to Port.

Just for example(Not a recommendation), though this example’s pins are in the wrong orientation, unless it could be mounted upside down…

I would worry that this arrangement could cause excess strain on the GPIO’s pads. The breakout board would need to be secured to the TB in some way, other than just the pins/pads, maybe hot glue or mechanical means. The traces on the breakout board would need to be insulated from the other unused GPIO pads.
That example was found on Amazon’s website.

1 Like

Yes, can!

And you can sold the wires to the GPIO header for both power and USB data.

May be you will be interest in the thread below:

Have fun!

Hi all.

I tried to solder the USB Input data DP and DM directly to the tone1 pins 3 and 4 as it is described in this forum.
If the power supply (red and black) wires on pin 2 and 5 come from the same source, everything works fine. But as soon as the power comes from my external psu, not from the usb-host, the host does not recognize the tone beeing connected. Same Problem is when I use the usb-c port with a y-splitter for separate power supply. Only when DN/DP AND the power wires plus/gnd are connected to the host, it recognizes the tone. Host is a windows10-PC.
Any ideas?