Is is possible to run vim3 off of an external ssd drive? (u-boot mainline is not working)

If vendors like Khadas left their customers without a usable system for two years they would be out of business. Maybe theres a lesson to be learned there too.

Shoog

3 Likes

The LE build system should not make 2 images but only 1. Also there is no need to fiddle because u-boot prepares the dtb filename to use or did you not know that?

But if the maintainer is not capable to look how Udoo and Cuboxi (and probably Wandboard) did that in the past then they are just incapable. They are just waiting for everything to be done by others.

Lastly Iā€™m sure there is more appropriate ways to apply pressure rather than being arrogant and rude to vendor staff on their forums.

1 Like

Ahh, the old ā€œbut youā€™re doing it all wrong!ā€ argument. I look forward to you putting all the ignorant people in the right then. https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv awaits your contribution.

Thats ironic considering that LE has never pulled a single contribution that didnā€™t come from its core members or from upstream.
Far to much petty politics from the LE team to attract good contributors.
Nice work Chewy.

Shoog

1 Like

How many vendors has this type of attitude and behaviour won over and led to them directly contributing to LE exactly?

There is only 1 ignorant person here and that is yourself.

Your actions are nothing but damaging, there is far better ways to achieve what you are seeking but I guess you just can not accept that and would rather resort to such underhand tactics instead.

Ting Ting Ting!!!

Is this CE VS LE ??

I am a newbie to this but I enjoy itā€¦
In the end who ever has his name on the Linux Kernel Upstream branch will win, no matter how much word fight you do on the forums
:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Please continue though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When Mainline finally becomes mature (and the full gammet of hardware capabilities of the AML chips get supported) we can all thank mainline for their hard work.
Until then we either have nothing or use what works.

Shoog

Yes thatā€™s the harsh truth :frowning:
Until then we keep patching stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheer up Guysā€¦ The beauty of Open source is working together and not fighting with each other.
No wonder I love Pine64 forum and chats, developers from every linux distro is available there and we all work together to get the best possible support for their devices :smiley:

• Ubport
  • KDE Neon - Plasma Mobile
  • Manjaro Arm - Plasma Mobile
  • PostMarketOS (Alpine)
  • Sailfish/Nemo/Jolla (Even though closed source still they provide their open source parts)
  • Devs from closed source projects

Not to forget these are all competitor but still we work together.

Thatā€™s how linux will grow, more importantly thatā€™s how I grow and learn :wink:

How many of you from CE & LE though of making a TV UI ? Still surviving on Kodi with themes?
Why not work together and build something competitive to out perform Android in Commercial space? Why not aim to become a mainstream TV OS ?

I know it can be done and one day hopefully it will all come down to Linux as a single project.

Lets hope for the best and till then continue with the argument :smiley: HAHAHA!!!

1 Like

Unfortunately that ship sailed when LE purged its forums of CE contributors. Unless the man at the top changes there will be no reconciliation. Sad but absolutely true.
Thats why I said petty politics.

Shoog

There is always a way. Lets explore the possibilities :wink:

CE + LE have the potential to be a Mainstream TV OS no doubt about it.

Ok bye for now, will continue to explore a merger of CE & LE in future just like
OpenWRT & Lede :wink:

1 Like

@Spikerguy we would love this but unfortunately the problem is not with us, here is a snippet of an email that our Team sent to chewitt and LE last year proposing peace.

Since this time we had no response and instead we have have had continued torts towards our project and team members and better yet even one of their own members was demoted from the LE moderation team and kicked from their Github organization for attempting to stop the nonsense that was being spread and keep the peace.

An example was just a few days ago on IRC.

15:59 <aphirst> while googling around, I found what seems to be a forked project
15:59 <aphirst> "coreelec" ?
15:59 <aphirst> with focus on amlogic devices
15:59 <chewitt> indeed
16:00 <chewitt> the result of some impatient people with dreadful development habits

So everytime things like this happen it alienates everybody and putā€™s people off wanting to work on mainline, we have some really talented people at CE who would love to pool resources and work together but unless things change at LE then it will most likely never happen.

1 Like

With this post IDK what I have done while just having some fun :x:

Maybe it is time for a patch up ?

@chewitt What are your thoughts?

@adamg Why donā€™t you post positive about LE on your website and forum, while asking them to collaborate publicly instead of just an email? While I request the LE team to do the same ?

OR
atleast document the points to consider about each other in public domain or a common forum like this. We can address it one by one.
OR
Lets create a new objective, AFAIK CE & LE both are good system but having a new common objective can maybe unit the 2 together?
If you want I can do document thing to work on togetherā€¦ Idk who is head of CE or LE.
OR
Maybe CE & LE become Libre Core Elec :smiley: with part of core team getting the devices to work with whatever works like older kernel or blobs, while libre team works on mainlining it, this way things will be much faster and it will benefit the community and help LCE grow faster too. Or maybe Kernel devs work on mainlining and maintainers can maintainer the existing support.

IDK if this sounds sensible but I am sure it is possible, if both the team are ready for it :wink:
All I know is CE + LE was and can be a good team.

Let me know. I am available here most of the time :slight_smile:

We tried this already, we donā€™t take donations away from LE, we have credited them on our Github page, we changed the GPL license back when they had a problem with it, if the LE team was interested in collaborating then they would of reached out in September last year when we attempted to put a stop to all of the nonsense, instead of continuing to post demeaning comments about us, our project and our developers and alienating everybody in the process.

Our door is always open nevertheless.

1 Like

Hi @hyhop

Just following up, do you have the link for the new mainline uboot for download so I can boot Vim3 off of ssd now?

still not shared ! be patient :wink: but it will be very very soon

nvme pcie - still not supported for mainline uboot

ssd works at this moment only via USB as usb-storage

Hi @hyphop

Again, just so we are on the same page . . .

Iā€™m interpreting what you just said as I can now run a full ROOTFS off of an external ssd usb device?

wait plz ! i will share mainline uboot very soon - still testing

1 Like

Any progress on the testing?

looks like completed :wink: i will share today or tomorrow after some additional test

3 Likes