HDMI corruption on NVMe write in Ubuntu & 5.7 kernel

its just digits ! in real life your equipment can get only 5V + and low power quality - and its will be a problem !

WRITE procedure need every time more power than READ !

The drive is rated at 3.3V 0.9A, so shouldnā€™t draw more than 3W even at peak. Also, the corruption is sustained for the whole write cycle, not just at the start of the activity. I more suspect EMI arising from PCB layout rather than power supply issues, but Iā€™m not enough of an electronics engineer to dig any further.

I did randomly try dropping the PCIe bus speed to 2.5 GT/s to see if that helped, but made no change to HDMI issue though did have the expected effect on throughput.

I spent excessive amounts of time failing to discover any way to change the framebuffer console HDMI resolution to see if that made a difference. The settings in /boot/env.txt seem to be ignored, as were any uboot variables I tried. I got as far as finding /sys/bus/platform/devices/soc/ff900000.vpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid (and /modes in same bit of the tree), but havenā€™t found anywhere in /sys that will let me write a new mode value to change the HDMI PHY.

Powering via the VIN port was vaguely on my todo list anyway to free up the USB-C port, but I donā€™t have the Molex crimp tool for building a cable. Is there a better alternative than buying the VIN-to-VIN cable, cutting the wires and soldering to a barrel connector?

Anyway, I think Iā€™ve exhausted most of the effort I have for this, given I donā€™t actually intend to use HDMI in the day-to-day deployment. Thanks for your help, and hopefully this thread might be of some use to the next person to hit similar issues.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about EMF coming through the boards, as I think the M2X board does have copper layers that should hopefully absorb or deflect the incoming interferenceā€¦

as for the VIN connector, I am afraid there is no other way to add a connector to itā€¦

I too thank you for testing and cooperating in this problem hunting questā€¦

good day !

Thanks for the info ! at the moment the question remains openā€¦

That does remind me of one bit of information I donā€™t think I gave, which may be important if itā€™s a hardware issue. The NVMe SSD is directly attached to the VIM3 board M.2 socket, not on an M2X board.

I am entirely sure about that part, as no one has reported a problem with thatā€¦
As long as the SSD is flushly mounted with the port, it shouldnā€™t be a problemā€¦
Is it placed at precisely exactly 90Ā° ?, perhaps loose connections are causing foul play here?
I even remember there was a user who created a case, where you could mount the SSD like thatā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™m using a remix of that case that has a bit more ventilation ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4269209 ). Yes, the SSD is mounted flush, at 90Ā° and held stable.

Also, board temperatures are hovering at around 30Ā°C idle/ 50Ā°C at load, so itā€™s not a thermal issue. (I have the new style heatsink. No fan on the heatsink itself, but the board is held vertical in a steady airflow from an external fan.)

My mind is still boggled over your problemā€¦
Have you tried other SSDs as well ?

No, Iā€™m afraid that I havenā€™t got any spare NVMe SSDs to try. Theyā€™re still too modern for me to have decommissioned any!

As Iā€™ve said twice now: The board is dead and Iā€™m seeking RMA from Khadas ā€¦ if I ever get a response.

Maybe you can send a personal message to them,
Katherine and Kenny should help you to do the RMA processā€¦

ęˆ‘ä¹Ÿē¢°åˆ°äø€ę ·ēš„é—®é¢˜ć€‚ęœ‰ę²”꜉äŗŗč§£å†³äŗ† ļ¼Ÿ pcie nvme 和 hdmi å½“å†™å¤§ę•°ę®ę“ä½œ nvmeę—¶ hdmi čŠ±å±é—®é¢˜

For people reading this thread in attempts to find a solution there was a proposed solution from Khadas team members in another thread posted later and it is to add ā€œpci=pcie_bus_perfā€ to the kernel cmdline in /boot/Env.txt.

Here is the link to the aforementioned thread:
https://forum.khadas.com/t/ubuntu-desktop-5-12-screen-flickering-issue-with-nvme/

1 Like