Got Batocera V35 running on the VIM3L

Which Khadas SBC do you use?

Khadas VIM3L

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

OOWOW and Batocera

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

OOWOW official and latest build and Batocera V35 official and latest build

Please describe your issue below:

Not really an issue but an success report.

Post a console log of your issue below:

Nothing to see here!

Hi folks!

I’ve found a way to get Batocera running on a Khadas VIM 3L (not the VIM3!)!

I was considering to use my VIM3L as an retro gaming machine for quite a time. Unfortunately I found neither Emuelec or Lakka very appealing to me, because I’m already used to Batocera and I found also the quite small number of emulated systems in Emuelec unsatisfying and the lack of usability in Lakka appaling.

So I tinkered an lazy afternoon with various ports of Batocera and found a quite reasonable solution.

And here’s how I did it:
1st I booted up with the OOWOW image (from SD-Card) and installed the uboot loader onto the eMMC. Alternatively you can also install any of the both officially available Linux distros onto the eMMC. Then I downloaded the Batocera image for the “Amlogic S905 tvbox gen3” (the image for VIM2 or VIM3 doesn’t work!) and flashed it with Balena Etcher onto a SD Card.

That’s it! Just insert the fresh flashed SD-Card into your Khadas VIM3L and enjoy your favourite games on this machine.

Note: Everything up to an Nintendo 64 and PSX works just fine. Every gen above (the likes of Sega Saturn(due to its vast hardware complexity), Sega Dreamcast PS2 etc),will run, but very sluggish or not at all. But hey, what is working, is working very fine and ways better than on a Raspeberry Pi 3b.

Regards
Danni

3 Likes

Can be flashed on emmc with the right dtb.

As vim3l already present upstream.

1 Like

Wow, that went quick.

However, I didn’t test the option to use an external USB storage as ROM archive.