Glitching audio - Tone2Pro > MacBook Pro 2020

Hello, I’m having trouble with a random glitching audio with my Tone2 Pro connected to the USB-C of a Macbook Pro 2020. This occurs with both streaming (through Roon) and local files.

The best guess I could make of this issue is a bug with Macs post-2018 with USB 2.0 connections, but I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing something similar with the Tone2 Pro.

Thanks!

Hi, do you have the latest update?

plus documentation …

https://dl.khadas.com/products/tone2/manual/

Yes! Sorry, forgot to mention that. I updated to the 1.2 version already.

what is your usb-cable? tried to change?

I tried with both the stock cable that came with the Tone2 Pro, a different USB-C/USB-C short cable and also with a USB-C/USB-A Sony cable connecting to a port through a Dell monitor. Had the same issue randomly pop up.

Hi @Daniel_L

Did you try with the included USB-C cable on the “USB port” of the Tone2 Pro + your USB-C to USB-A cable connected between the “I2S port” of the Tone2 Pro and any other port of your computer or your screen (to get power on the “I2S port”) ?

Hello @Grooved, thanks for the suggestion! I tried, but it still happens.

I managed to grab a few error messages from the Console in MacOS

default 20:06:52.227965+0200 kernel IOAudioEngineUserClient[] - AUDIO OFFLINE. online=1. state=1. loopCount=0, lastLoopTime=0
error 20:06:52.227988+0200 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7
default 20:06:52.228161+0200 RAATServer HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default 20:06:52.278805+0200 kernel IOAudioEngineUserClient[] - AUDIO OFFLINE. online=1. state=1. loopCount=0, lastLoopTime=0
error 20:06:52.278829+0200 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7
default 20:06:52.279032+0200 RAATServer HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default 20:06:52.330271+0200 coreaudiod Audio IO Overload inputs: ‘’ outputs: ‘’ cause: ‘Unknown’ prewarming: no recovering: no

I have not experienced this issue with my 2019 or 2012 MacBook Pros on Catalina (macOS 10.15.7). I wonder if this an O/S version thing.

I will say that if you’re using Roon, using a dedicated endpoint device instead of connecting a DAC to Core usually works (and sounds) better anyway. As I type this, I’m listening to my Tone2 Pro via a Raspberry Pi running VitOS (ideal, if you have a wired Ethernet connection available). Sounds amazing.

Here’s a live stream I did a while back during which I explored some of Silent Angel’s claims about VitOS and then demonstrated assembly and installation.

If you must use Wi-Fi, I’ve found RoPieee and DietPi to be reliable alternatives, thought VitOS does sound and work a bit better.

1 Like

Hi David!

Thank you for the suggestion! I actually did exactly that as an alternative. It was my first RPi assemble and it was fun :slight_smile: Also, more importantly, it is all sounding and functioning great (using RoPieeeXL).

Cheers!

1 Like

Can you double confirm if the happen while separate sound there, for example:

• (Keyboard) clicks sound
  • alert sounds

Good day!

Hello @Gouwa! No, this only happened with the sound output through the Tone2.

Have the same issue with macbook with m1 pro.
No problems with built-in hadphone out, only with usb.
Really annoying. Is there any way to fix that?