Ess hump solution?

Looking forward to the version.

This will be release together with the Balance out ?

Thank you Gouwa for your kind reply, 3 months is not too much so I guess I could happily wait and buy the new version, I will be more than happy to support your project if you do crowd funding or preorder!

Yep, but with a “Magic” way :rofl:

1 Like

Yep, planning

thanks for support!

Looking forward to the coming release.

Hoping it come out tomorrow :slight_smile:

Great , I wills ell my present Khadas board and want for the new one. Is THD+N same in new board ? Price I assume its the same ?

I would suggest khadas to double the price of the TB v2 because the competition is priced probably at a much higher price tag than the current TB v1 with the hump ! Me, i’m very happy with TB v1 as it is now

1 Like

i think distributors are salemen and not engineers, something seems wrong this argument; the real question is who does really benefit from saying “this hump is so bad that I can hear it”

1 Like

I share @ravelo’s feelings. Though you could probably call me biased because it says “Khadas Staff” next to my name - I really can’t hear this hump! :smiley: :joy:

Thats not the point, Its hard to say if you can hear the hupo or not, but TB has great THD+N numbers for the price. Its nice to see that issues its solved.

1 Like

I do not think doubling the price, just because some other distributors are ripping people off, would be a good idea.

Just got my TB generic version. I am also very happy with it. I plan on getting VIM3 and TB with fixed hump. If TB price goes double, I won’t be.

There are plenty similar comments over at audiosciencereview, for example

2 Likes

Yes, keep the price very competive…it will carry your company to a high level if you give great price/performance on the balanced DAC and hopefully you can fix this so-called ‘hump’ on the current DAC…also “thd compensation registers” as @peterq mentioned

1 Like

Dear Khadas team,

is the currently available Tone Board free of the ESS hump issue?

Thank you!

my suggestion to khadas marketing team:
prepare 2 software versions:
one with the hump and another one without,
sell the TB w/ hump at normal price of today;
propose those wanting the hump fix a software upgrade for ; let’s says 50USD,
we’ll see who will buy it (and of course make it impossible for a buyer of the upgrade to install on a different board!)

2 Likes

All indications are that it’s a hardware issue, and can’t be fixed in software.

If there had been a board revision to fix the ESS hump I would expect Khadas to have announced it. Since they haven’t I’d assume the hump still exists. Whether it’s audible is another matter entirely. I’m only aware of 1 similarly priced ESS based DAC that doesn’t have this issue, and that’s only built for use with balanced headphone connections. The same manufacturer has a prototype for single ended use that may be out soon.

someone has found a way to reduce the hump on another DAC using the same ESS chip, and he is sharing his solution @ https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-fix-ess-hump-on-sgd1-and-la-qxd1.10502/page-3

I bought Tone Board few days ago. It came with preinstalled 1.04 firmware. Is the hump fixed in most recent 2020. batches? How can I test for hump btw? Thanks

You cannot test.
You cannot test.

1 Like

The hardware no changes for new batch :slightly_smiling_face: