Edge: No SD card ? and Highest DESKTOP resolution?

Product page : https://www.khadas.com/edge

On the product page, only eMMC is specified.
On the product page under “Edge Photographs”, I see several images with a TF card slot on the Captain board.

What is the highest DESKTOP resolution ?
NOT the resolution of the video codecs. NO gaming.

Hello, From an article on CNX, looks like a Khadas Edge module is in the plans(pictured below). This has a card slot, module connects to FPC connector.

Thanks. I missed that one.
But that card slot is still off-board. So it looks like there will be no SD/TF card on the Edge board itself.

Not understand this, do you mean that High integration SBC for Desktop application?

I want to know the highest resolution available (in HorizontalxVertical pixels and refresh rate) with normal desktop usage (editing code). Either over HDMI or DP.

Sometimes the desktop resolution is limited to QXGA (2048x1536) over HDMI, or QHD/WQHD (2560x1440) over DP. But the video resolution goes up to UHD/4K (3840x2156) due to codec compression / decompression. And then the SoC manufacturer only specs the video resolution, and maybe mentions QXGA as a secondary (without the numeric resolution). Which is then (understandably) copied by every blog and SBC manufacturer out there.

But one of your competitors describes the RK3399’s display interface like this in its hardware user manual. Note the difference between HDTV and graphic display resolution. 4Kx2K vs QXGA. :

Display Interface
HDMI
RK3399 support HDMI 1.4 and 2.0, up to 10-bit depth color mode, up to 1080p at 120Hz and 4Kx2K at 60Hz HDTV display resolutions and up to QXGA graphic display resolutions.

FYI:

HDMI

USB-C

1 Like

And again the identical discrepancy :

up to QXGA graphic display resolutions.

QXGA equals 2048x1536 : https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/QXGA-Quantum-Extended-Graphics-Array

And quoting myself from my second post :

And then the SoC manufacturer only specs the video resolution, and maybe mentions QXGA as a secondary (without the numeric resolution). Which is then (understandably) copied by every blog and SBC manufacturer out there.

I don’t know how it will be on Edge, but on VIM2 it is automatically detected and switched to 3840x2160.

@balbes150 That is reassuring. Thanks!

It’s only for desktop stuff (code editing). No video/streaming or gaming.
In my testlab one Edge would be connected to a LG 43UD79-B (3840x2160) monitor. The other Edge to a Iiyama X4071UHSU-B1 (3840x2160) monitor.
I’m just trying to avoid disappointment and a wrong purchase.
I hope it will be definitive/official before launch, or on launch, at Indiegogo.

Hi Tigger,

The Edge will automatically detect and switch to the highest resolution(4K).

IMHO, with 4K resolution the system UI and font is too small…

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

IMHO, with 4K resolution the system UI and font is too small…

We are never going to agree on this one. :wink: It depends on the dpi. Those screens I mentioned have a dpi similar to a 27" 1440p monitor. And are just as legible.I just need to sit further away.
The screens will only display multiple browsers side-by-side, displaying the same page. For testing. With some minor trial-and-error, and fix editing in the DevTools of the browsers.

1 Like