Edge-Capitan random reboot under load

I’m running a Edge-Captain with default image on eMMC (Fenix 0.9.2, Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Linux 5.7; latest updates) and face constant reboots under load. I initially assumed this was due to power, but I’ve now tested another power supply without success.

• Idle or very light load; only 1 core; is no problem for hours
  • Light load (~25%) usually works for ~ 10-15 minutes
  • Heavy load really depends; sometimes it lasts, sometimes it doesn’t

Temperatures stay below 54-58C

The power supply does:

1. 5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, 15V 3A, 20V 3A
  2. 5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A

Here’s the moment just before reboot

Some more details:

• Only a keyboard and serial cable is attached; no HDMI, no other devices
  • Power is provided via USB-C
  • 64GB microSD is plugged in (which I’m writing to)

What am I missing? Is it worth to get another power supply?

EDIT

I’ve done some more resting and sometimes I get this before the serial output halts:

DDR Version 1.23 20191016re
In
soft reset
SRX

Hello, When you changed power supply(PS), did that include a different cable? Are the PS used PD type or QC? PD recommended.
The Captain can power the system via the front barrel connector, 12 volt, 2 amp or better. If PS available, try the Captain power input jack to rule out any possible USB-C connector issue.

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve ordered a new 12V/2A power supply; none of these phone-chargers; Hopefully a proper, stable one. I’ll post back soon!

2 Likes

You may already know the following, I’m just being overly cautious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Please ensure the power supply you ordered has the correct Tip Polarity. The Captain uses a Tip Positive connector.
This is indicated on Power Supplies like the following example(Khadas DC005 shown)…

Tip Positive is indicated by this symbol…
TipPositivePolarity

Other tip specs, Outer/Pin Diameter: 5.5/2.1mm.

@RDFTKV thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

It seems like I’ve gotten this to work with the new power supply (12V/2A/24W). I’ve been able to complete one compilation, and shutdown the board. Interestingly, the next morning (today), the board will not power on with the power supply.

Did my power supply just die over night?! (I guess so…)

It powers on fine with USB-C and I’ve no way to test the power supply elsewhere.

Some kind of poltergeist :thinking::ghost:

1 Like

Looks like it! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would recommend that you buy a power supply unit from Khadas, they are very high quality, you will not regret it! And no poltergeist!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, definitely. 3 attempts - that does it! I’ll go with the Khadas one now.

1 Like

An excellent choice, I do not know people who have had problems with a power supply from Khadas yet!
:handshake:

Over the time I have been using TV boxes and SBCs, many issues have been traced to power supplies. Quality varies wildly from one PS supplier to the next. Some can’t even output their rated power.
Hearing that a power supply has failed after little use is not surprising to me.

As stated by Vladimir.v.v, I have not had any issue with the Khadas supplies. I have at least 1 of every supply Khadas sells.
Cables can also be an issue. If you go with the Khadas USB-C 24W PS, it may be a good idea to pick up one of the Khadas USB-C to USB-C cables at the same time. Also available from Amazon and Aliexpress.
Keep us posted.

3 Likes

Edge / rk3399 - very picky about power supply !!!
reason may be not only power adapter - may be its cable - or contacts - connectors

PS: for example i have problems for some cables, other works fine some poor :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, USB cables and USB ports can be finicky. One of the things to like about the Captain is its barrel DC in jack. It makes for a good test of the Edge for those suspecting the USB-C port, USB cable or USB power supply issues. If the Edge runs from the Captain’s DC in jack, then the problem isn’t the Edge.

1 Like

I decided to take the chance, and try another new non-Khadas power supply. It really came down to shipping time (1 day vs 6 days). Yeah, impatient bunch today …

Anyway, this is a PChero 30W Universal AC/DC Adapter (AC input: 100-240V 0.25A 50/60Hz, DC output: 3V / 4.5V / 5V / 6V / 7.5V / 9V / 12V). For those who care, Model: B079P8G5FX

So far so good. I’ve been compiling all morning! Just for jokes, added some extra cooling :wink:

4 Likes

those are quite the fine pitched heatsink fins, and made of copper
do you have a link to where you could get them ?

1 Like

There are many options on the market, for example, AliExpress

buying from AliExpress is blocked in some places, including where I reside.
hence I’m interested to know alternative places for purchasing.

also I just found out its on amazon.com

Yeah, that’s where I found them. They make a difference when it gets hot. I’d say 2-3 degrees. I’ll remove the stock heat sink soon and try them on the chip (with some thermal glue).

Since they are not that big, I’m not sure whether one of these on the RK3399 would actually perform better, than the stock heat sink. Particularly without fan running …

Let’s see