Cooing Fan Assemble Guidance

Crazy but amazing idea!!! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

fit perfect. Thanks.

1 Like

May be you can change the screw head to the top view :slight_smile:

I try this first but they push one chip (Pulse H1102) under the fan.

Another method for keeping the GPIO fan connect wires under the top plate.
A DuPont jumper is used for example here, though should be much the same for the fan’s connectors.
Note: DuPont connector shells removed.
Caution should be exercised when bending thin metal to avoid a break. Bend slowly and avoid extreme right angle bends.
Before and after…

Top Plate removed for clarity…

Front view showing no protrusion of wire or connector from case…

Arial view, top plate in place…

2 Likes

I have finally received mine fan today, connection wires are outside of the case, you could have done it better, but i will live with it.

Any way to control the fan, i mean lowering rpm-s, is it possible to control it inside Ubuntu?

Fan arrived today easy fit, now for some testing…

1 Like

It’s possible, but need to design a extra logic board with a GPIO to control the power supply of cooling fan.

unacceptably loud for that small fan, or maybe my bad luck
one may try to remove the black round sticker on top and it will give him three soldering points,suppose if you plan to use PWM to command the fan that is the right direction
did no further investigations on speed control - anyway too noisy for me

Hi, Abutkov:
Sorry for that, and @willow will follow up with the details.

Actually, you are exactly right for the feedback that to control the cooling fan with PWM. As when we designed the VIM, we just thought that cooling fan is not quite needed for VIM, so:

• We didn’t design with an onboard 2-Pin slot for cooling fan
  • If need to be controlled by PWM for current VIM designing, we need design an external board/module spec with both power management and PWM and for that.

It seems that we might need to develop the module in the future. :wink:

Anyway, VIM2 will got better cooling fan supporting.

2 Likes

expected release date for vim2…?

Should be in June or July :slight_smile:

Hello. Abutkov. Sorry for this. How about the cooling fan, could it work?

As i see on the picture, there is black and red small lines connected with the cooling fan, but from your picture they have gone. You did it and removed them to have a new try?
or it comes like that.

waiting for your answer to have better service.

thank you.

Hi, willow
I simply desoldered 1.25mm converter lines to replace them directly with 2.54mm - to turn it more native :slight_smile:
And then I went even further and soldered wires directly to the mainboard - just to make the appearance less exserted. So during these manipulations I noticed the 3rd soldering point and supposed it to be PWM (also see the yellow line on the picture above)
Anyway, the noise level was high for me and I didn’t look through the datasheet (kind of SUNON UB5U3-500) to check if my guess was true. As for the rest - blower in operating condition, so if this small server happen to move somewhere far it might retrive its cooling device.

add 1: it was noisy from the beginning, not the result of a hot iron, so now I have a better ventilated casing :slight_smile:
add 2: the screw DOES push the LAN transformer

1 Like

I just thought that we shipping with a bad one :wink:

Actually, you can also DIY the RTC battery slot for cooling fan, both comes 1.25mm pitch header.

I’ve just update the datasheet of the cooling fan, it’s not Sunon one, but from a Taiwan factory.

Hello, Gouwa!
PWM_F - Is it the control output for fan?
Does it has the control driver?

The GPIO Pin cannot drive the cooling fan directly(the fan need more than 100mA current, but the GPIO can just provide less than 10mA), so a PWM module is needed for it.

I undestand, that it cannot drive the cooling fan directly. I mean, What is “F”? And how is it work?

I need a switch-on signal control for my cooler’s circuit with a 12V supply.

Just a name for PWM, check the schematic for information:

I see it.
How to add 3 operation modes of the cooler? Like you did for geekbox :slight_smile:

Mode 1: always on
Mode 2: always off
Mode 3: trigger by the temperature of CPU.
How to set the temperature of the trigger-cooler?

May be, Will terry adds the selection menu to the settings on android? Like he added for geekbox’s Mmallow…