Connecting esp32 to khadas via usb

@Archangel1235 I think I need usbserial too, is it included? I am reading about the fenix script, do I need that to build the driver? Any tuto to build only a driver and load it via modprobe?

I am ready to give it a go, found this tutorial: https://yoursunny.com/t/2018/one-kernel-module/
BUT I cannot find linux-headers-4.9.40 (apt search only return headers for 4.8.x)

I see in /boot/config-4-9-40 that CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y - cool.
but sadly CP210X is not set

@Archangel1235 Thank you for offering to help, two thumbs up! I think I will use another micro-controller (teensy with USB-midi). Easier that way… Thanks again.

were you trying to make a MIDI device ?

Yes, I am glueing a khadas vim inside a generic midi keyboard and adding sensors to it (10 adc - 10 digitals). Teensy 3.2 have USB-midi built-in, but would prefer to have the full 14bit resolution inside pure data so will see if teensy Serial is supported on vim kernel.

1 Like

give me 12 hrs I will compile cp210x drivers… Have been busy with other works sorry…

VIM1 kernel 4.9 right…?

2 Likes

Nice device…
no worries, @Archangel1235 I can do it in an hour or less…
My computer is free right now…

I just need the device no. (VIM1, VIM2, VIM3…)

For real, that would save me a lot of troubles…
Yes using VIM 1.2 with kernel 4.9.40

@11h11, ubuntu server, or which DE ?

I have a build of…

Ubuntu-server-4.9-focal-eMMC image made for you…

It’s weird, but the Module is already included…

should I continue the build… ?

does,
Modprobe CP210X
or something like that work ?

1 Like

@Electr1 My installation is very old, a ROM downloaded on Khadas website a long time ago:
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

For me config file in /boot show that CP210X is not set & modprobe the module doesn’t work (Cannot find this module).

maybe trying a newer ROM might work ?

Yes hopefully CP210x is built-in now… but having to reinstall, reconfigure, recompile softs from source, launching script at boot etc… so close to finish this project. So if not possible to have the module cp201x for my kernel I will use the teensy (even if I need to redo the firmware, quicker).

@Archangel1235 No rush (in caps), I mean if you cannot do it for any reason that’s ok… feeling a bit lazy asking people to compile module for me… I tried but (cloning the kernel from the khadas’s repo but I don’t have enough space on my vim… so many blockers).

do not worry, he may need some time to help you :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m willing to reinstall a fresh image on my eMMC. 2 questions:
1- the way to go now is to use krescue (not sure about the bit ### VIM1 old version + mask rom mode)?
2- are we sure that the new img have cp210x enabled and which one should I use:

[ ] VIMx.UBOOT.mainline.emmc.kresq 2020-08-06 02:19 3.8M
[ ] VIMx.Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_V20190917.emmc.kresq 2019-12-27 05:55 766M
[ ] VIMx.Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_V20191231.emmc.kresq 2020-01-05 22:11 876M
[ ] VIMx.Ubuntu.mainline.5.5.xfce.bionic.test.emmc.kresq 2020-05-07 03:40 628M

I checked that the cp210x was enabled there on 4.9… Focal

so you’d better check that one…

P.S why is there only images from last year ?

I was looking at this folder:
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/images/

Found also this folder:
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM1/Ubuntu/EMMC/

I don’t see any Focal image…

well it does seem like they don’t have a fresh build of eMMC…
and I just got rid of my Linux VM as part of my PC cleaning schedule…
sry…

maybe @Archangel1235 will attend to you when he has sometime later…

Good day

@Archangel1235 I am not lucky with this project, trying to switch to teensy USB serial stop after 1 sec on VIM (driver is ACM device). Works well on my laptop… :frowning:

Would like to reiterate my request for the cp210x module driver for VIM 1.2 kernel 4.9 if possible.

Thanks

@11h11 you can now build the Fenix image by yourself !