Connecting an external power switch using XPWR pads?

I put a small piece of duct tape over mine and it has held the two pin connector in place for months.

1 Like

The method I mentioned, mount POGO pins to project board, use fasteners like standoffs and screws to attach the POGO pin board to the VIM3 , should be fairly easy and wholely reliable.

The VIM3 PCBA, like most modern PCBAs is very delicate from a solder point of view. It would be incredibly easy to damage the VIM3 with improper soldering techniques or tools and specially too much heat and too much time on pad. I would typically only use hot air and low temp solder paste to solder to SBCs. I have much soldering experience, but using an iron on the VIM(x) would make me nervous.

To what does this refer?

@RDFTKV screwing in the pogo pins to a PCBA would be difficult, the asbestos is very fragile, you’d need a CNC machine or some sort of milling machine to get the right diameter to insert the pogo pins

I think you misunderstand me. Maybe you overthink this one.

Bore holes in project board for POGO pin’s wires, pass wires thru project board. Epoxy POGO pin housing to project board. The project board dimensions can equal that of the SBC, line up POGO pins and screw holes for standoffs. Imagine an unpopulated SBC PCB. Now, the project board could cover entire SBC PCB or it could be cut down to cover only POGO pad area and at least two SBC mounting holes.
This would be easy as pie…but not Android Pie.:rofl:

PS surely asbestos is not used for the POGO pin housing.

oops, did I forget to mention I mean project board instead of PCBA, tsk tsk
we wouldn’t want to drill into our precious VIM3 now :sweat_smile:
also, I meant the project board/PCB is made of asbestos, the pogo pin housing is most likely plastic, the pogo pins themselves are obviously metal

Project board is very easy to drill thru with a standard bit. Have done it many times. Hand drill or power work well.
I may be out of touch, but I assumed PCB material was fiberglass or similar(epoxy). Asbestos is a clear cut health hazard, surely it is not used for this. Of course, I could be wrong.

pardon me, must be loosing my marbles today,
seems like they don’t use asbestos for PCBs nowadays, its epoxy coated fiberglass but again, you need some proper tools to drill it properly,

As long as the bit is reasonably sharp, it is very easy to make nice holes in the project board. By hand, no CNC for a project like this. As long as the bit is not too long, I would do it in my lap.:grin:
I did this all the time when I was a hobbiest HiFi loudspeaker maker, bored many holes for mounting crossover PCBs. Grab some project board or unused PCBA from disgarded device and give it a go, you will see it is not difficult.
Board material smells bad if you burn it though, kind of like burning hair smell…yuk.:grimacing:

1 Like

I found an older VIM1 1.2 but it doesn’t have XPWR pads, what was/is the alternative?

Going from memory here, but I recall one user soldered wires for a remote switch to the back of the VIM1’s power switch. Not sure if there are other options, been a while since it was discussed.