Can't run swaywm on the official Ubuntu Gnome image

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Official Ubuntu image with gnome desktop installed by OOWOW

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Please describe your issue below:

Swaydm cannot run due to some libwlroots issues

Post a console log of your issue below:

sway: symbol lookup error: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libwlroots.so.10: undefined symbol: gbm_bo_get_fd_for_plane

It seems that libwlroots.so.10 used API gbm_bo_get_fd_for_plane, as current gnome desktop is hardware accelerated with Mali GPU, and the gpu library seems not support gbm_bo_get_fd_for_plane API, so you got this error.

Thanks.
Any way to fix this?

Two ways to fix this issue:

1. Remove Mali GPU libries and install sway, but in this way you will not have hardware accelerated desktop.
$ sudo dpkg -r linux-gpu-mali-wayland
$ sudo apt install --reinstall   libegl1  libgles2  libgles2-mesa  libegl1-mesa-dev  libgles2-mesa-dev  libglvnd-dev  libgles1   libwayland-dev  mesa-common-dev  libgl-dev  libegl-dev libgles-dev libgbm-dev  libgbm1  libwayland-egl1
$ sudo apt install sway
  1. Modify sway source code to remove unsupported APIs and rebuild debian package to install.
1 Like

gbm_bo_get_fd_for_plane added in mesa 21.1.0 Mesa 21.1.0 Release Notes / 2021-05-05 — The Mesa 3D Graphics Library latest documentation

maybe have possibility rebuild mesa libs ?

No, I know mesa support this API, but our Mali GPU libraries doesn’t support it.

Thanks.
The first way works just fine.
I am not familiar with the concept “hardware accelerated desktop”.
Would you mind telling me so details about that?

With GPU accelerated, you will have more smooth desktop.