Can you use the vim1 heatsink on the Vim3/ Vim3L

I’m only looking to run the boards in passive mode and wanted to know if the heatsink for the vim1 and vim 2, mounting holes match up with the Vim3/ Vim3L? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance

The new VIMs Heatstink can suit all the VIMs SBC including VIM1, VIM2, VIM3, VIM3L and even Edge-V.

But we sell the Edge-V with different thermal pad as the RK3399 SoC is higher then the Amlogic SoCs.

Be note that the original VIMs heatsink(discontinued) not compatible with VIM2 V12.

You can also check the Khadas Shop for the further details.

Have fun!

1 Like

Compatible with:

• VIM1
  • VIM2 v14
  • VIM3
  • Edge-V
  • 3705 Cooling Fan

Incompatible with:

• VIM2 v12

Compatible with:

• VIM1
  • VIM2 v12 / v14
  • VIM3
  • Edge-V

Incompatible with:

• 3705 Cooling Fan

*Note: The performance of the “Original VIM Heatsink” isn’t as good, as the fins are thicker.

Thanks for the response, Most of what you point out I had already assumed, but it was good to hear them as well. It’s more the wait that I didn’t want to do. I can get the Original heatsink in a couple of days and since the Kits for the Vim3L is only for the HTPC side It kind of left those of us looking for a Dev setup for the board out in the cold. The Vim3L is still a great looking device though.

1 Like

You’re welcome! Yes the “Original VIM Heatsink” works fine on all SBCs, except the Edge. I was using it yesterday to cool my VIM3L when testing CoreELEC, as someone else had snagged my “New VIM Heatsink”.

What kind of items are you looking for in a developer kit? Maybe we can create a new bundle for that. @Gouwa

The heatsink, case, and m2x expansion. The back plate doesn’t seem to really make a difference from the other forum posts that I’ve read. I did order mine already because It’s a really cool device and has many more options for development than the VIM3. I’m also hoping that the tv tuner will be looked into for support as well.

1 Like

Be note that only work for new VIM2 (V14) and not suit for old VIM2 (V12).

1 Like

Okay got it. :slight_smile:

The metal plate does make a big difference for cooling, if it is paired with a thick thermal pad, and provided you place the metal plate onto a thermally conductive surface, like metal.

Placing it on a wooden table, would not result in significant temperature reduction. :smile:

1 Like