Build vim2 firmware including root support

RDFTKV It’s still restarting I’ve had enough of this I’ve tried factory reset and the new power supply and cable and I’ve gone back to the other cable but its still restarting but I’ve noticed it work on a older version of os nougat it didn’t restart maybe this is the problem the os needs updating.

Sorry, I don’t know what is up with your VIM2. Maybe try to run one of the Linux SD card versions, see if it reboots. Wonder what hardware or software problem.

I’ve changed the hdmi cable see if that works I did have khadas hdmi cable I’m going to try the new power supply and cable see if that works

Have a look here.

So I might be doing another rom for the vim2 he says he’s dropped vim1, I think I’ve sorted out the problem with my vim2 I’ve changed the hdmi cable I was using khadas hdmi cable so far its been ok I was searching the web when I came across article about random restarts on android and it was saying that most of the time what’s causing it is the hdmi cable I didn’t know this myself it was driving us mad so I had to find so what i did is change the hdmi cable and go into settings on the vim2 hdmi cec when you’re in here make sure toggle on cec switch one key play is toggle on one key power off and auto change language is toggle on I think I’ve done it fingers crossed.

1 Like

They are here, see Pie normal Android. See ATV Android.
Have fun and please be sure to thank superceleron. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve had a enough of this it’s doing it again randomly restarts I’ve been looking on the web what could be causing this on articles 1 it could be the OS that needs updating that’s a no no because there is no new Android there is for the vim3 but not the vim2 I’ve tried to contact khadas there not interested.

You had no luck with the superceleron offerings in my post above yours?

If they did not help, it could be that all the time you spent running without proper cooling may have taken its toll on your VIM2. The S912 is a hot runner, heat ages and wears electronics.

If you get another device in the future, my best advice is take whatever reasonable steps are available to it to keep temps as low as possible.

@MacThomas62 Did you ever try to run one of the OSes from SD card, just to rule out the OS as the cause?

The link you sent us is that the last version pie from superceleron for the vim2 is that rooted I’m not going to give up I will find out what’s causing this it could be something to do with the app that I’m watching the media on I do not think it’s the power supply and cable I’m going to try this new rom.

If I recall correctly, His “Debug” builds are rooted, while his non-debug versions are not. If you want rooted, use the debug builds.
Yes, those are superceleron’s latest for the VIM2, released only days ago.

If you feel an app maybe crashing the VIM2, temporarily uninstall the app and see if issue persists.

1 Like

RDFTKV How do you run OS from the sd card I haven’t tried this before could you explain how do I do this.

This may depend on the OS you want to try. Keep in mind there are no SD boot Android varieties. An idea of what is available can be seen here. Some of the information there has since been superseded.
OSes include LibreELEC, CoreELEC, Lakka, OpenWRT, and Ubuntu. I assume one the first two may interest you the most. However, for simplicity, and because these are officially supported by Khadas, please pick one from here.

Basically, once you have chosen a file(example: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM2/Ubuntu/SD_USB/VIM2_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-5.7-rc7_arm64_SD-USB_V0.9-20200530.7z), extract it to get the image(i.e. VIM2_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-5.7-rc7_arm64_SD-USB_V0.9-20200530.img)
Then use a program like Etcher or Rufus to burn the image to a micro SD card of appropriate size. I think one of those programs will run on Macs.
Let me know when you have the card finished and we will go from there.

RDFTKV It’s the vim2 I was watching YouTube and it randomly restart so that tell us it’s something to do with the vim2 it’s the OS or it’s the vim2 itself I’m going to try that new rom.

OK. Good luck with the new ROM. The S912 is getting very long in the tooth.

How are you powering your device? Exactly the specs of your charger.

With the khadas power supply and cable there own, are you having the same problem with your vim2 I’ve changed the OS I was on nougat I’m on OS Pie Superceleron if this doesn’t work it’s the vim2 itself.

Yasir_Javed It’s a 10W, at 5V and 2A uk power supply and cable, I’ve had for quite awhile now I bought a new it random restart the vim2 straight away I hoping you know what’s causing this get back to us and let us know

I don’t have a VIM2 but I have a TV box which I faced similar problem. I turned on developer options, hdmi cec and tried to use a non standard cable (it was longer then original) and then this random reboot was happening.

To fix the problem, I used the TV box original cable and charger, I turned off all unnecessary settings and did a factory reset and then my random reboot problem was fixed. These Android boxes Are very sensitive to power charger and cables so you need to make sure there is nothing wrong with your power supply setup. If all else fails, maybe this is a case of bad luck or hardware issue maybe.

RDFTKV You know the power supply and cable you use for your vim2 could you take a photo or photo’s, I’m using the superceleron rom it’s working ok so far touch wood.

I am not with the VIMs at the moment. For the VIM2 I use the Khadas supplied(came with the VIM2) USB-C-to-USB-A cable and the Khadas 10W power supply.

Now you listen to me right now! :laughing:… You say no spurious reboot yet, pay very close attention as you start adding back apps. If and when the reboots start, please recall the most recently added apps.

1 Like