Basic questions

Having issues. Wanted to use Ubuntu. Built an SD card. I am using the latest build from 2020.
Got to the login prompt and I can not type. Thinking it might be the keyboard I tried a wired keyboard as well as Logitech Wireless keyboard which worked on the VIM3 Android OD version.
Also while looking I can not find the username and password.
Maybe I should not try to run it from the SD card? I am looking for more documentation and on the NPU and Ubuntu but can not find it. Glad I bought through Amazon might have to return it.

Hello, The Khadas Team, like many in China, are unable to return to work due to the Coronavirus quarantine, so official help maybe a few days away.

In the meantime, I will attempt to run the latest 2020 Khadas SD card Ubuntu, but it will be several hours before I get back to the VIM3.
For passwords try…
User: khadas
Password: khadas

…Or
User: root
Password: khadas
I will post back my results after the test tonight.

Some info on NPU is available through Khadas Docs.

1 Like

Thanks so MUCH for making the effort. I found the biggest issue was that I was using the latest image. I do not think it’s 100% yet. I went back and installed the december ubuntu image and I am typing on the VIM3 now. Tensorflow does not install.
The NPU stuff does not install. There seems to be a lot of unfinished docs. Or docs that are no longer current because of how fast things move. Hope they get back and are healthy. Terrible thing the Coronavirus

2 Likes

I made the SD card image, Bionic Beaver 20200103, and booted to the SD card.
The results were a pink tinted screen and like you, USB did not seem to work.
I recall reading that some eMMC installed Android versions are not compatible with some Linux kernels. My VIM3 had the latest Android Pie on the eMMC.
I erased the eMMC and tried the card again. Screen is properly tinted. Also using a wired KB and mouse, connected to a four-port USB hub connected to the VIM3, I was able to login. All seems to be working as expected. I was able to pair my phone over Bluetooth. Connected to my WiFi router. LAN working at good speeds.

While I have done no further testing, 20200103 seems OK for the short time I have spent on it.
Running Linux from SD card works OK, but Linux on eMMC will probably be faster overall.

Searching these forums produces some others with Tensorflow install issues, such as here. Searching the term Tensorflow brings up several topics, may be something useful can be found.

Wanted to add that Khadas Docs is ever expanding. New information is added often. It has come a very long way since the early days. I expect that will continue.

1 Like

You erased the EMMC Android image. I can try that. Thanks…
Do I have to erase the EMMC or can I just do this to copy the Unbuntu to the EMMC drive.
Insert your SD card.
Place your VIM into Upgrade Mode to complete your Firmware upgrade:

• Long press Power key without release it.
  • Short press Reset key and then release it.

Yes, erased Android from the eMMC. Keep in mind this erases all data, apps and user data. Note, I was unable to erase eMMC using the keys method, I used the interrupt method. With the eMMC erased, the VIM3 will not boot from eMMC, as no OS is present.
You can leave the eMMC empty if you intend to run from card.
If you want Ubuntu on the eMMC, and you want to use an image with the latest(Khadas) Linux kernel(5.*), looks like using the SD card image is the only option right now.
If you are OK using another kernel(4.9), other methods exist to burn the image to emmc, such as the USB Burning Tool. I believe it is possible to install Linux to eMMC from the Khadas SD/USB images. I have not done this with the Khadas images myself so I cannot offer tips. I will try it tonight and report back.

Khadas Team member @hyphop offers an excellent tiny OS called Krescue. Krescue is run from SD card and can be used to install OS images to eMMC. He offers several Krescue Ubuntu images that can be used by Krescue to burn the image to the eMMC. See Krescue README here. Krescue install and images are a work-in-progess, so some bugs might be expected.

User @balbes150 offers some excellent Linux options that can be run from SD card, also can be installed to eMMC using a script.

This is much information to digest, fell free to ask any question you have about any of it.:slightly_smiling_face: