Armbian + KODI (Ubuntu\Debian) for SD & USB & eMMC

New ver image Armbian 5.94 20190821.

3 Likes

Compiled your branch with this commit

Doesn’t seem to boot VIM3, will try again with neils commit and see if it boots.

Can you guide me on which last commit did you test booting the vim device?

I’ve booted VIM1 (and several other GXL devices) and VIM3 boards from that branch in its current state. LE packaging uses bootm and I’ve been using 0x1980000 as the load/entry address.

I am following balbes PKGBUIld and compiling branch. I am recompiling the rebase branch now as before i compiled the master branch. I think it was because of using master branch

Edit: forgot to ask you… The hdmi audio works for vim3 from your kernel? Is there any way to install Wi-Fi firmware?

I am testing with manjaro builds

I read this, So I am hoping it will boot fine and HDMI Audio should work :smiley:
Sounds good to me.

Now I have another question. Regarding the fbturbo driver. I have been using the follow since I starting compiling Manjaro for Vim1 but I dont know if they will still work smoothly with VIM3?

#Other device specific packages
#fbset
amlogic
#firmware-2-aml-0.1-1-aarch64
wpa_supplicant

#Video driver
xf86-video-fbturbo-git
#xf86-video-odroid-c2
#odroid-c2-libgl-x11
odroid-c2-libgl-fb
odroid-c2-libgl-headers

This is from the device profile which pull their respective drivers.So i had commented c2-libgl-x11 coz I found it to be slow as compared to the libgl-fb.

while fbturbo is better than the video-odroid-c2 for VIM1.
Is there any specific FB or gpu driver for VIM3?

No success with 2 of your committee. When trying to boot. Its stuck on khadas flash screen.
I have been following balbes kernel branch and it’s seems to load fine. Is there anything i need to change about the load entry address? How do I change it now as the img is ready.

It works for me. It works for @balbes150 who uses my sources. HDMI audio works if you add an alsa .conf and alsa mixer settings. Everything you need is in my LE repo … but I have little experience with Armbian and little time to learn … so it’s up to you to mix the ingredients and bake the cake.

1 Like

Will try this Thanks Alot.

What about gnome desktop on 5.3 kernel, what is the status of lima driver for Vim1, is it enabled by default when using this kernel?

According to my knowledge gnome desktop is very heavy for vim1 soc.
Regarding the lima it is enabled in my built but not sure about others.
To make full utilisation of the wip vpu driver and codec we need to get the latest mesa installed but still its wip, so we might have to wait till a full working vpu/hwa released.

The new version Armbiam 20190825 kernel 5.3.0. In this version the temperature display on G12 works.
For reasons not yet clear, the G12 has a conflict with this kernel with PULSEAUDIO. To turn the sound on models with G12 (s905x2 S922x a311d) you need to perform these steps.

1. Remove package “pulseaudio”.
  2. Reboot the system.
  3. Once run the command “sudo /root/g12_sound.sh”.

When you remove the pulseaudio package, not volume control.
Alternatively, you can install the “pnmixer” package that works with ALSA.

Full-screen 1080p video playback from Youtube (Chromium) to VIM3 works at a temperature no higher than 55 (without a fan). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where can I get the kernel 5.3.0 Source to compile?

Is this the same reason why its not working for me?
I will give this a try.

Wow this is amazing.

Really appreciate your support and dedication towards Amlogic SOC :smiley:

The addition of a silent fan lowered the temperature to 35-38 degrees (this is under load as a 1080 full-screen video from youtube via a browser without a direct HW). In my opinion a very good result and is a complete replacement for home PC. :slight_smile:

Branch “le”

Yes I tested 5.2.1-1 with VLC and it was smooth but only problem was full screen.

Thanks. I see config and Config_1
Which one is better?

Also I will share a video of graphical glitch when using Manjaro on Vim3.

Take a config from an image, in GIT not full versions.

Graphical Glitch noticed in VIM3 DE.
Video

Pay attention. The multi-boot scripts have been updated, I recommend to re-activate the multi-boot using the new scripts. In the scripts added ability to run Android without removing the external media Armbian. To do this in the first section of the external media (/boot) to create an empty file boot_android. If you have this file, each time you restart, either the external system or Android from eMMC will start in turn. To disable this mode, you need to delete the file boot_android external media.

1 Like

I’ve been asking balbes150 over at Armbian forum regarding VIM3 PRO and the amount of available RAM as I found it to be quite less than what I expected (3353MB vs ≈ 3700MB). The latest answer from balbes150 is the following:

“IMHO for the maximum size of available memory can be used u-boot-2019 (it can be installed in eMMC) and specially optimized DTB (with minimal memory reserves for video and other things). But while u-boot-2019 for VIM3 is not in the public domain (it is, but not for General use :) ).” - Forum post

Can any of Khadas devs answer what’s the status regarding u-boot v.2019 and VIM3?

@Frank

This statement contains errors. In all recent versions of Armbian Libreelec AltLinux etc, uses a fundamentally different system starting with the external media that is not compatible with very old version, which is used in coreelec. This misleads users and creates a lot of problems. Should be removed from this page mention Armbian and Libreelec.

What am I doing wrong?

1. Burn latest Android to eMMC with USB burning tool (full erase of flash and bootloader)
  2. Burn latest Armbian to mSD card with Etcher
  3. Change dtb filename in both /extlinux/extlinux.conf and uEnv.ini to meson-g12b-a311d-khadas-vim3.dtb
  4. Boot Into Upgrade Mode with Keys Mode
  5. Log in with root, change root password and add new user
  6. Run ./install with root and shutdown after successful installation to eMMC
  7. Unplug power and mSD card before powering on again

Nothing happens. I’ve tried this four times now. Any suggestions?

And one more thing, does the install to eMMC script install Armbian with Debian/Ubuntu on top of Android? If so, is it possible to wipe eMMC and just copy everything from mSD to eMMC as I’m not going to use Android, ever?