Armbian + KODI (Ubuntu\Debian) for SD & USB & eMMC

Check the Mac address bindings on the router. Check the WOL settings or whatever else you changed. Remove the USB network card. I have a wired network normally works on two VIM3 (s922x and a311d) in all images of Armbian and Libreelec.

im trying to install on vim3 (Android Pie Latest) using above procedure but its always grey screen (no errors or anything) when i enter into boot mode.
dtb in uEnv and extlinux is : /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-a311d-khadas-vim3.dtb

Using 5.98_20191025 Ubuntu Disco

I didn’t change anything. On Libreelec with 5.3 kernel same story link is down … no connection at all.
With kernel 5.3 I have 02:00:00:1b:12:01 mac after start … but with 4.9.190 c8:63:14:70:45:e0.
seems like mac parameters from “Kernel command line” is ignored …"
Tried to play in cli with add correct mac , enable wol , ip link up …and sometimes works but after restart again no link.
With Ubuntu started from SD kernel 4.9.190 all working ok … link is up and working.

Hi, my Wetek Play 2 experience. I’ve instaled Ubuntu image first (last one, disco) and it worked nice, samba share on lan stable 32+ MiB/s transfer. Then I decide to check Debian, (I’ve never used Debian, using Manjaro normally) and in Armbian configuration app I’ve started some script which actually copied everything on eMMC. O.K. Removed sd card to check if it boot from EMMC my device ended in loop. Used usb/rs232 serial comm to check what’s going on and : LOOP EMMC 0 USB 0 and something like that endlessly repeating. The real problem is that now I can’t break boot with CTRL +C to reinstall Android recovery. So, no display, no recovery…
Anyone with similar experience?

Not really , maybe the image during download got corrupt, can you try entering bootloader mode by pressing just Enter Key? or try burning the official images

Thanx for quick response. Usb burning tool is no go for Wetek play 2. Like I’ve metioned no display. The only way I can monitor boot is through putty with serial connection. And the only way to interrupt the boot with serial is ctrl+c for my Wetek. So I’m helpless now. So maybe somebody else has knowledge how to break boot loop. Wetek is just another s905W device. And, yes, maybe bad download, bad format on sd card or else.

;LOOP:9;EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:17A;SD:800;USB:8;LOOP:A;EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:17A;SD:800;USB:8; is what shows up via putty and rs232. if sounds familiar to anyone. And number after LOOP is increasing.

Just to report back. I’m writing this from Armbian.
The story: I’ve bricked my Wetek play 2. Despite the recommendation not to use Usb burning tool on Wetek I’ve succeed to back android on device. If anyone has bricked WP 2 use the youtube, search for Recovery Wetek Play 2 and you’ll find solution.
So, happy again, I’m asking if somebody knows exact way to flash Armbian on eMMC, please, give me a guide. I’ve read the thread several times but it’s confusing for newbie like me.

1 Like

https://test.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.80-nightly-20191029-708dbf9-box.img.gz

The factory WeTek u-boot needs to find boot.ini in the root folder of the boot media or it will not boot. See the ^ above image to see what LE is using to initiate the usual “multiboot” process that LE and Armbian otherwise share.

Thanx for response , I thought that this thread is dead. So, copying my existing boot.ini from sd card to eMMC will do the thing?
OK. I just check LE image. Understand.
What about the procedure of flashing the eMMC? Can you point me some post or thread. Existing thread is confusing about 2018 and 2015 versions of boot. Or I am not quite smart to understand.

I’m no expert on emmc flashing … but basically you’ll need to create new filesystems avoiding the first ~2MB or so that contains the factory u-boot. Mainline u-boot doesn’t have “board” support for WeTek devices so unless you’re volunteering to add that you’ll need to stick with the factory (2015) u-boot.

OK so I’ll probably stick with factory 2015 boot cause have no idea what is all about, Are there any advantages (R/W speed) worth risking? What are the experience in real life. This thing is working now and I can go back to android if something oddly happens. I’m reading
this thread now. Maybe buy faster SD card is a way to go. Anyway, if there is some guide (for newbies) about using so called factory u-boot 2015 please point to me. Thanks for your time.

Just to say THANK YOU guys, I’ve spent fun weekend installing various linux distros from this forum. My long forgotten device Wetek play 2 , (lost remote control) is alive again. Almost every distro works on WP2 with right dtb and alternative boot.ini. I end up with bionic ubuntu cause it was faster and most responsive than other distros. Arc KDE is most beautiful but browsers are very slow on my device. Samba on bionic is stable and fast ~30-40 Mib/s, so, now i have low power consumption download center running 24/7, and in the future I plan to install nextcloud for personal use. I decide not to install on eMMC (original WP2 installed) cause I’m not certain how to safely do that.
BTW. Is there an chance that SD cards are getting slower with extensive use or is it me?

Downloads generate random I/O and the WP2 has only 2GB RAM so running a load of apps in the background will surely slow things up. Faster SD cards run faster, but it’s not worth a big investment. It will run faster on eMMC but IIRC the internal storage is only 8GB? which is a bit limiting.

Apropos RAM, it never reach more than 1.2 gb on full load. But with all installed on sd card 6 gb occupied, so, yes, tight. I’ve installed plex media server for music only (I know mpd is better ), it was tempting and it works with no more than 30 % of CPU load (plex only).And chewitt , I’m almost certain that I know from some other forum, non related with this but I can’t recall which one. I’ve recognized the picture now. Never mind, small world. Thank You for answering me. And again and last , can somebody point to me reliable way to install bionic on eMMC with old multiboot, so called 2015 or something?

@balbes150
As you mentioned in this post LibreELEC for VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 (SD & USB & eMMC) wi-fi on VIM2 Pro should work on the latest Armbian build.
I’ve tried Armbian_19.11.3_Aml-g12_eoan_legacy_5.3.0_desktop_20191126.img.xz , but no wi-fi module is detected.
Did I miss something? Or Armbian should be 20191216+ ?

The last one is the one that is “younger” than the others at the date of publication of the message. To date, the latest, 20191224. Through 1-2-3 … days, the “last one” is likely to have a different number.

I was looking into this Yandex drive folder https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei for the latest Armbian version.

Use the official forum, there is current information.

3 Likes