Armbian for Khadas EDGE (RK3399)

Hello @balbes150,

I checked image Armbian_5.69_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190111.img.xz on a 4K TV, and the sound works well. Does your previous images sound works on a 4K TV?

1 Like

Hi @numbqq
Yes, the sound in the old worked. The LE sound also works. Iā€™ll take care of myself.

1 Like

Figured out what the reason for the lack of sound, replaced the dtb and it worked. The next version will have the corrected dtb.

By the way, using a media script all videos in the browser, mpv and Gstreamer KODI easily goes to 4K full screen. The desktop interface does not brake even without HW acceleration. RK3399 impresses with its performance, it is a complete replacement for a modern PC (intel i5 loses EDGE for home use). My TV with 4K gives a great picture in Youtube (the only limitation is the Internet channel). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New image 20190112 fix sound for my 4K TV.

p/s/
Desktop with a resolution of 4096x2160 + browser from Youtube to full screen = work without brakes, any video is played perfectly in full screen. I am impressed with the possibilities rk3399. I now do not have only good channel in the interent (which would be more than 300Mb/s). Now iā€™m have to download 4K content first, then watch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New image kernel 4.4 and 5.0 20190120.

3 Likes

New image Armbian 20190306.

New image Armbian 5.77 20190321.

2 Likes

Built a new Armbian image 5.77 20190331 with PCIe NVME support (added patch and changed dtb which is used by default to edge+Captain version). Module EVO-970 now can be seen immediately in the system and can work with it as with usual drive. The speed of NVME is impressive. :slight_smile:

All components work (WiFi, BT, wired network, sound, etc.). After installing the media script - any video in full screen with any resolution up to 4K. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you have an idea whether the aforementioned patch (I guess itā€™s this one) is also needed on other RK3399 devices combined with the EVO 970?

Alas, I am not familiar with other models and canā€™t say how much it is necessary for them.

Update image ver 5.78 20190412

2 Likes

New image Armbian 5.82 .

3 Likes

New image Armbian ver 5.86 .
For version kernel 5.1 NEXT added support for USB sound and WiFi.

3 Likes

New image Armbian ver 5.88 .

2 Likes

Hi @balbes150, I thought Iā€™d test out your Armbian-next images (i.e. the ones with modern 5.2-rc kernels) on a new Edge board thatā€™s just turned up. Iā€™ve tested all three of

• Armbian_5.88_Rk3399-tv_Debian_buster_next_5.2.0-rc4-next-20190613.img
  • Armbian_5.88_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.2.0-rc4-next-20190613.img
  • Armbian_5.88_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_disco_next_5.2.0-rc4-next-20190613.img

They work but the wlan interface doesnā€™t seem to be detected: iw list, ip link, etc. donā€™t show it, nothing mentioned in dmesg, unlike say the default_4.4.154 image where it does show up. I also checked the previous

• Armbian_5.86_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.1.0-next-20190517.img

where you first mentioned -next support for USB sound and WiFi, in case the latest image had a regression.

I havenā€™t yet done any debugging on this other than a cursory check to see that the device tree in /proc/device-tree does have something vaguely sensible in wireless-wlan.

Before I dive in too much, I just wanted to check if youā€™ve seen wlan working on your own board with any these images? It might be an Edge vs Edge-V difference thatā€™s biting me here if so.

Whereas if you havenā€™t yet had it working yourself, Iā€™ll start by building a new kernel from the for-next branch of https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mmind/linux-rockchip.git and take it from there.

I use a computer translator and did not understand what WLAN means. Specify what is meant.
Do you know the kernel options that are responsible for this ?

It is the wifi chip support.(Wireless Local Area Network).
But I heard the Khadas Edge V doesnā€™t have mainline support for the wifi chip yet.
It sounds like he has the Khadas Edge V but not 100% sure.

Thatā€™s right: itā€™s the wireless networking that appears not to work in in any of the Armbian 5.x images which Iā€™ve tested. Iā€™m testing with a standard Edge, not the Edge V; weā€™re designing our own carrier board but for the moment this is just a bare module.

The relevant driver is present in the 5.x kernel but the device tree needs to be correct too, and the image also needs to contain the firmware blob for the wireless chipset. Iā€™m happy to debug this myself; I expect itā€™ll just be a device tree issue and will be easy to fix.

But given @balbes150 comment above (ā€œFor version kernel 5.1 NEXT added support for USB sound and WiFiā€), I wondered if it already worked for you or if you hadnā€™t yet tried it?

It seems to be a machine translation problem. It is about supporting ā€œUSB soundā€ and ā€œUSB WiFiā€. The built-in WiFi 6398 module does not work on the core 5 yet (it needs a new firmware). Maybe Khadas can try to contact AMPAC (wifi chip manufacturer) for support of this module in the main core.

Ah, I understand where the confusion came from, yes.

Looks like thereā€™s ongoing investigation to get this working. In principle it should work on the mainline brcmfmac driver with the same firmware blob as the legacy vendor kernel, but apparently that firmware blob isnā€™t downloading to the device correctly for some reason:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/65388464-5328-4BF3-8C9A-7C59E3D361E1@gmail.com/T/

AP6398S may have been a poor choice of wireless module if mainline support still isnā€™t there in mid-2019 for a compute board designed in 2018 though. Ho hum.