Android on Vim3 suspend and wakeup on ETH connectivity

I am wondering if this is possible.

I have a Vim3 Pro with android setup as a carpc and I would like my VIM3 to shut down or suspend with the lowest power draw possible based on the ETH state.
The Vim3 is connected to a hub that is powered by the system and the Vim3 is direct to the battery for power.
So if it could somehow be setup to monitor the Ethernet port state and suspend OR power off and back on by the change of state this would solve a lot of issues for me.

Possible?

Thanx

@JustSumDad are you aiming for something like WOL ?

maybe if you have something on the router sending the magic packet, you would arrange something as you wish :slight_smile:

No WOL wont do the job, I need this automated and I was thinking since the O/S can detect the unplugged or plugged in state of an ethernet port that would be the fully internal way to do it.

afak, when you suspend in Android, it can only be woken up by button interrupt.
the only other way I’d imagine it happening is, with some external device switching it on/off…

As we have quite a lot in common with our projects… Maybe my idea could be utilized in Yours too. Microcontroller (some version of Arduino maybe) gives pulse to XPWR pads when it detects suitable impulse.

1 Like

I had thought about an arduino but I am concerned as my application is used off road there will be jarring and vibrations to contend with. I am looking to minimize the circuity and possible points of failure.

Since the discovery of the timed relays I realized I could in theory do it this way and get rid of a lot of GPIO connections and spare circuits.

I even did a bench test of a super capacitor UPS system but finding a way to trigger an orderly shutdown was tedious to say the least.

I believe an app could be put together to monitor the port link state and perform a shutdown accordingly.
I may ignore all this and let the android system hard crash as android is fairly tolerant of this. I just hate it :slight_smile:

not my bike but very very close.

2 Likes

“afak, when you suspend in Android, it can only be woken up by button interrupt.
the only other way I’d imagine it happening is, with some external device switching it on/off…”

I plan to use a timed relay of 5 min to give a full power cut to the VIM after its done its orderly shut down.
So the hub/switch etc will cut with the bike and the VIM will have a full power cut 5 min later. The VIM would have a timed shut down so its completed shutdown maybe 5 sec before the relay cuts power.

1 Like

Handsome Suzuki
:motorcycle::wink::+1:

Thanx, mine is a little different but most would not spot the differences :slight_smile:

I gotta get a good pic of her :slight_smile:

With those relays, be careful. I have ordered two which both arrived dead. They came from same seller as that link and were with 30s off delay.

My platform for installation

1 Like

I will bench test and stress them some, thanx.
nice car :slight_smile:

I may have found a cure to this issue in the APP “Automate” by llamalab.com
It appears to have network connectivity monitoring with shut down abilities.
Will test soon. This is just a quick look from my ph.

1 Like

Yup, that app did the job. Worked perfectly!!

3 Likes

@JustSumDad cool app, thank you for sharing :smiley:

1 Like