Amlogic Vs Rockchip

Khadas Edge-V Pro RK3399 and Khadas VIM 3 uses AP6398S which only work on 4.4 Linux kernel images for now.
Hopefully in future the wifi chip can be better support and then mainline Linux images can work with wifi. With mainline Linux you will have open-source working GPU acceleration for Linux based on the Panfrost/Bitfrost Mali drivers that are compatible with Rockchip(and I think Amlogic) but still wip.
But if you need wifi and can’t wait a few months until it’s available, it would be possible to buy a cheap Realtek wifi dongle and plug it into a USB port(of either Edge-V Pro or Vim3) but I’m not sure if extra steps are needed but most Realtek chips work well with mainline Linux.

The Khadas Edge-V RK3399 basic model uses AP6356 wifi for which there is currently mainline wifi support. You will most likely also need the IO board to use micro-sd cards to flash Linux images easily.

You will have to check on Khadas’s shop and all all the components you need to check the difference in price between Edge-V Basic/Pro and Vim3 and decide on the feautres you need for your situation.

1 Like

I know about Linux very small and I will allow myself a comment. :slight_smile:
If you need Linux - choose RK (if possible, wait for the release of new models RK). If to compare kernels from manufacturers RK and AML - strongly would not advise to use that stuff which gives AML (with rough hacks after which the security system in a kernel is destroyed).

Thanks again mo!

I think I am a bit stupid :man_facepalming:

I bought both VIM3 and Edge V but I took for granted that it has SD card reader.

1 Like

Edge-V does have a microSD card reader.

The Edge does not have a card reader. An ext board adds microSD slot to the Edge. The Captain board also adds card slot.

Hi @pablomuniz

RDFTKV is right
The Khadas Edge-V model does have a micro-sd card reader.
Khadas told me previously you also needed the IO extension board for the V model to use micro-sd but they might have been mistaken.
It’s confusing since if you use the casing and put in the HDMI cable you might miss to notice it.

Here is a picture, it’s located at the top middle on the bottom side of the board.

This form factor is shared with the VIM, VIM2 and VIM3. It is where the -V in Edge-V comes from.
It can be difficult to access the slot when the HDMI cable is connected. A few of us picked up some of these microSD card extenders to use on the original VIM. Comes in handy if you do a lot of card swapping.

Never mind I had a looong week.:sweat_smile:

Just ordered Edge V :blush: Will check if it runs better than VIM1, VIM2 and VIM3. I’m very positive about Rockchip since Geekbox (pre-Khadas device) - it used to run video very smooth. Though I used it mainly with Android 6, therefore very curious to build Ubuntu for Rockchip.

1 Like

Well i have both the Edge-V and the newer A311D board and i think the 311D looks better

I was wanting to get another one but was stumped on which to get one of the 905 boards or the 912

The 905X is a 2.0G quad core with mali 450, the 905D is 1.9G with a quad core and the Mali G3 shouldnt the 1.5G octa core (912) out perform both 905s?

1 Like

@BowerR64
S905X/S905D/S912 are all actually 1.5Ghz not 2Ghz, Amlogic cheated the bootloader values reported.

It is very unfair of Amlogic to this to us, On paper they seem so powerful and cheap for the price but in reality they just Ripped us off. :slightly_frowning_face:

I think he meant 905x3, 4 cores of 1.9

No I checked some of the Forums, the Chip is being throttled back to 1.5 GHz instead of the advertised 1.9GHz you have to modify some things to Achieve that Frequency. HardKernel has however been able to Achieve Overclock and some other things on that Chip

I have a few of the cheaper Android boxes a couple 905X2 and a couple 905X3, then i have an H6 Allwinner, and aS912 i actually think the S912 has a better image then the others.

Ive seen the benchmarks and everything but imo the 905 units look grainier but they are faster, the S912 looks cleaner the lines look smoother to my eye then the 2 905 versions but the 912 is slightly slower

But they arnt the Khadas units so its hard to say if they will be the same as the cheaper chinese android boxes i have

maybe depends on quality control? for example, Khadas vim3 has honest 2.2 Ghz, unlike other manufacturers
In this regard, there was a lot of controversy where instead of 2.2, it was 1.7, and all manufacturers unanimously blamed Amlogic, one wonders, where were their eyes? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Very true, I agree on that point

1 Like

Yes, in that sense, we can be proud of Khadas :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

yes i agree with that as well, Thanks to the Khadas Team for being more Truthful about their products and giving a more open source Environment for us makers, Hats off :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Whatever you do avoid the S912 chip, its poorly supported by AMLogic, Khadas, Linux and Coreelec and really doesn’t perform any better than the S902x2 chips. Both the VIM1 and VIM3 have better software support and the VIM3 is miles ahead of any of the other two. Even the S905x3 in the VIM3L better the S912 by quite a margin.

Shoog

1 Like

@shoog your opinion is quite correct but remember that The VIM3 is a brand new chip and we still don’t have better drivers for it (ie. graphics etc.) and its more powerful hardware just covering up for that.
so it is evident it has greater potential !
further more the VIM3 is the ONLY SBC with the A311D chip and so any experience we gain about it, is just laid road for another manufacturer who wishes to use it.

p.s The octa core A-53 setup for a processer like the S912 is a REALLY inefficient combo,
and, the Quad core A-53 setup is widely used across multiple chip manufacturers for example, even the Rasberry pi 3 series uses it which bought that core setup to Fame in the first place

2 Likes