970evo 1tb on VIM4 (new m2x)

I made an image of mmcblk0 to the NVME drive with dd then copied the image file to my NAS. I compared the two files and they were different.

I ‘restored’ the image files to a suitable SD card and put it in the VIM4 with the NVME drive unplugged. Neither of them would boot.

I made an image of mmcblk0 to my 64GB USB3 stick (also formatted as NTFS) with dd then copied the image to my NAS. I compared the two files and they were the same.

I ‘restored’ the image file to the same SD card I used previously and put it in the VIM4 with the USB stick unplugged and it booted perfectly.

So it seems that not only does the system have trouble reading from the NVME drive, it has trouble writing to it as well.

The other observation I would make is that dd took roughly the same time to write the image file to the NVME as it did to the USB3 stick. It managed ~37MB/sec compared to ~120MB/sec when I do the same thing to a share on the NAS mounted using cifs. I have restored the images saved direct to the NAS to the same SD card and they boot as well.

1 Like

Everything you report is consistent with my experiences using a Sabrent M2 NVMe 1TB drive on my VIM4 with the MX2 extension card. This combination works as expected - tho’ at USB3 speeds - on my VIM3 Pro with mainline kernel (Armbian/Jammy).

I’ve now done some more testing with a Samsung Evo 970 Plus. I formatted it as NTFS and did a full backup of my desktop to it in the USB3 caddy (161GB at ~375 MB/sec) and verified it was OK.

I plugged it into the VIM4 and it wasn’t seen so I removed the drive and plugged it into to the board and power it up. It was detected but when I tried to create an image using dd, it managed about 12GB at ~33 MB/sec and stopped working. Not only did it dismount, it actually disappeared from the system. I powered off and back on then reformatted the drive as ext4 and tried to do a dd to an image. It only got a few GB in (but at ~125 MB/sec this time) when the same thing happened as the previous time.

1 Like

Hello @technodevotee

We will check this issue. Will update status here.

1 Like

I’m having a similar problem and outlined it in this thread: VIM4 NVMe IO Errors - #8 by RIGeek

We should compare notes and maybe we can get some better data for them.

1 Like

Hello, everyone,
I’m trying to use m2x with M.2 SSD 980 EVO, but device didn’t see it. Maybe I don’t write some command to use it? (OS installed from OOWOW)
I checked device on Windows and it’s worked normally
Any suggestion please

Any suggestion please

SATA SSDs are not supported by this device, only PCIe NVMe SSDs.

1 Like

Hello @avafeev

Duplicate topic, we will follow up and update on another topic, please check:

2 Likes