Volumio for Khadas

More good news:
I used @Gouwa’s method to connect SPDIF pin 13 (with pin 14 GND) to a coax interface, but added a 1K resistor to stay on the safe side.
Works perfectly with @balbes150 latest image, so SPDIF can be ticked off too.

Only thing left is I2C, which needs more work.

2 Likes

@gkkpch, do you able to scan all of your music? Which format your files are and how many they are?

No, not all is being scanned, I have a number of albums with malformed tags I still have to fix. They get skipped. AFAIK there is no limit to the number of songs/albums/artists. Music scanning is not KVIM-specific, in case you need info then best explore the volumio.org forum

I have flac, mp3 (I know, bad, bad, bad), ogg, ape, wav, dff, ogg, wma, wv (wavepack) and no, no apple :apple: formats

I know it by heart :wink:

The problem I am talking about is with MPD version.
20.10 or higher is needed.

Honestly, I use volumio mainly like an OS for other software which is giving me more. I have multiroom instalation and snapcast way of volumio is not my favorite. Tidal implementation is also not the friendliest one. But adding shares, switching outputs, or brutefir configuration makes live much easier and it is much faster with Volumio even from phone or tablet.

As i said before, VIM is a powerful enough to handle much more tasks than to be just an audio render. From my perspective the power of VIMs for audio endpoint is needed only in case of using convolution engine locally.

BTW, AIFF is better than WAV not because it’s image but because of metadata support.

Some useful tools to organize your music library:
to convert audio formats
to tag music library and add cover arts

well, the Odroid HiFi Shield+ is also working.

First connect VIM GPIO pin 13 ↔ DAC pin 2 (labeled IN)
Then add the following to /etc/modules (in that order)

modprobe snd_soc_pcm5102
modprobe snd_soc_odroid_dac

Unfortunately there is a problem with the HiFi Shield 2.
Though I2C is now working (thanks @Terry), it appears the sound driver does not register properly.
There are no errors while loading the drivers, no idea what causes this, something vital must be missing
Unless balbes150 can come up with an idea, I think we to settle with a simple I2S DAC setup without HW control for the time being.

Hi @gkkpch

You can add to the management page (volumio.local / dev) a window for entering terminal commands , as it is, for example, in Webmin (entering and executing terminal commands through a browser) ? Then it will be possible to perform any configuration of the system without using additional connections via SSH.

Hello! I added kvim2_volumio file, s/pdif from 13 pin work, i2s from 29-33 pins not working, this pins working in android, connection is correct.

The new version of v 0.6.

Modules for i2s have been added. To use them, you need to select the appropriate audio output option in the settings.

Reduced start-up time from 10 seconds to 5 seconds. Waiting time can be easily changed by yourself (increase or decrease). To do this, change the number of “bootdelay=5” in/boot/uEnv-volumio.ini"

3 Likes

Thank you for the big work!

1 Like

in the new 0.6 version i2s works perfect!!! Thanks!!!

1 Like

@gkkpch A very big request to make the Vim IR remote control work possible in Volumio

Hi @gkkpch .
You can add in the plugin for the remote control (lirc), settings for remote control from VIM ?
I installed this plugin and when you press the buttons on the remote control console receives scancode, but not settings remote control.

Yes, terminal wrote “wrong custom code”

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your work.

I have tried Volumio-0.5-2018-04-07-aml9xxxarmv7.img.zip on VIM2, it works well, and Tone Board is also supported, but I found that I can’t adjust the volume, do you have this issue?

Hi, Nick.
Yes, I, too sometimes mean such behavior, but sometimes restart Volumio adjustment of is beginning to work. By the way, I have collected a new version, it includes support for i2s.

2 Likes

Is this a new Board for VIM ? And what modules do you connect or does it work without loading modules ?

Hi Oleg,

Please refer to this

No other modules needed with image Volumio-0.5-2018-04-07-aml9xxxarmv7.img.zip.

it i’m is now clear that the standard USB ports on the 40 pin connector are used.

Yes, you are right.:wink: