Thanks for the objective appraise, we did really not as good(may bad) as many Khadas users except so far.
Yes, as you can imagine, we are a start up with a small team, when we launch VIM1, we have only 3 members including me(Terry, Willow and me), and 6 members now with average age at 28.
When we started our company, we focused more on ODM and OEM(same with many other design house in Shenzhen, China), we provide customized services for our foreign customers according to their project requirements. Our services including hardware & software development, ID and CD designing(outsource to our partners), PCBA SMT and manufacturing/assembly(cooperation with other factory). Things comes easy for us even with 3 members, as we service only to limited business customers.
When we provide the ODM and ORM services, we keep researching for a better products, and we design Geekbox and VIM(haven’t decided to brand as Khadas at first as we thought we were still a small team and can’t afford with better enough services to our end retail users), so we developed some 3rd party companies to promote the products, things were not going as good as we expected:
- Trading companies: can’t understand this products, they cannot provide technical services, and most of them spend more energy on products promotions and less on services, even that few of them know they should focus on technical service also, but they don’t have technical guys.
- Design house companies: they tend to assist their marketing like TV-Box and Tablets which comes more quantities and better profits.
Above are part of the reasons why we we decided to start Khadas, of course, one another important reason is that we we’re desired to do that!
I have and must to say, even we run VIM by ourselves, things still not goes smoothly, one reason is that the limited team members we have. Actually, when we decided to run Khadas, and we reduced many ODM/OEM requires in order to put more team energy and resources on Khadas VIM:
- Run Khadas Forum and community
- Run Khadas Docs
- Gather end users feedbacks and try to resolve all users problems or issues
We put more than half of our company’s energy and resources on Khadas, sadly to say that we didn’t do good with all above. In fact, currently, Khadas haven’t brought our company profits yet, we still got profits from ODM services and put most of them into Khadas. As you might known, we cannot put all our team resources into Khadas, thanks but sorry to the Khadas users.
Many users might confuse why we developed VIM2 rather than put the energy to VIM1 software development and technical services:
- Currently, our business model is that we give most of the products profits to 3rd companies like Gearbest.com and outsource the products promotion to them, so we can focus more on technical services and documentation.
- We will keep VIM1 retail price to bring more users to Khadas community, but we need a new product which can come with profits
- Some users told us they want a better performance Khadas product
VIM2 comes with more about business strategies, and at the same time, the distributions also expected us can launch more products lines, they thought a brand cannot come with only one product(same with end users, sometimes we also need try to match their feedback).
Even the economic statistics of Khadas not comes well currently, we still and will assist on it, that’s why we enlarge our team with another 3 members now. I think things will goes better and better in the future
Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
Gouwa / Khadas team