Using script the boot.ini

For those who have no desire or ability to activate universal multiboot, or who needs the ability to run external system with SD card or USB stick without any intervention in u-boot, or not in the console UART. In the normal u-boot is a function of the predefined startup script boot.ini with any set of necessary steps. At this link you can download a working script “boot.ini”. It allows you to without having to activate the multi-boot, launch images (which is composed script s905_autoscript) with external media. The order of use. Download the desired image. Unzip. To record on the SD card. Perform all the prescribed steps to configure additional image (for example, add correct dtb file, etc.). Copy to SD card script “boot.ini”. To connect to VIM and switch on the power. The system should automatically boot from the SD card. Pay attention to the script “boot.ini” can be run only from the SD card. So, to start the system with USB flash, have to use two storage media, SD card with FAT partition and the script “boot.ini” and USB flash drive with the necessary system. Script 'boot.ini" is a plain text file you can edit to suit your needs. The command syntax is the same as the scripts for the Odroid models C2 and Wetek.

https://yadi.sk/d/tbbXk5en3MY3nh

4 Likes

On Odroid if I need to add an extra parameter to uboot or pass something to kernel I just edit /boot/boot.ini
And where’s it on Vim?
I almost bricked VIM yesterday trying to write uboot parameter. It corrupted the boot fs and I had to rewrite the whole damn thing loosing all configs and settings I did. If only I knew how to make dd backups of vim’s emmc and write images directly on emmc… Эх.

All changes made for VIM in the boot.ini based on existing variables in u-boot (open the console UART and execute a command “printenv”). Mind you, VIM is not equal to C2 Odroid, this is a different system and different foundations. You can create your boot.ini with a clean slate. Why do you need to write your settings in u-boot ? There is a much safer way. Use external scripts - boot.ini (text / plain) file, or activate the multi-boot and use s905_autoscript (binary file, which is going from a text). To do a full backup on VIM a breeze. Can use dd. Run the command “fdisk -l” and it becomes clear that to specify the argument “if=”. And for ease of manipulation, backup and subsequent (if necessary) restoration, it is recommended to use a ready image Armbian with built-in utilities to do this (ddbr).

PS If the problem with foreign languages, I recommend the threads where all you can ask in Russian.