Ubuntu u-boot does not have run update defined command

I my using serial mode where ever I can. And today I saw there was new Ubuntu Server firmware. No problem did power on Khadas VIM Pro and stop autoboot. But running “run update” results as command not found.
Then I used first method of this guide [1] and sucessfully updated Ubuntu Server 20170604 release. But its u-boot also does not have “run update” command.
Can this be fixed?

Hit Enter or space or Ctrl+C key to stop autoboot -- :  0
kvim#
kvim#
kvim#
kvim#
kvim#
kvim#run update
## Error: "update" not defined
kvim#run update
kvim#version
U-Boot 2015.01-g52d10ef (**May 15 2017** - 03:27:25)
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1) 4.8.4
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.24
kvim#
U-Boot 2015.01-g7861c5a (**Jun 04 2017** - 15:40:09)
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1) 4.8.4
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.24
kvim#
kvim#run update
kvim#

PS: why including always u-boot with release?
PPS: “run update” works fine on Android Nougat image/u-boot

[1] http://docs.khadas.com/develop/HowtoBootIntoUpgradeMode/

If you only want to enter update mode on ubuntu, you can type update command

kvim#update
InUsbBurn
[MSG]sof
Set Addr 5
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
set CFG
Set Addr 5
Get DT cfg
set CFG
Set Addr 5
Get DT cfg
set CFG
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
set CFG

We still persist mainly because we want to make sure all the VIM users(normal users and developers) can upgrade ROM with easy way, so we keep the same method to upgrade Ubuntu ROM with Android ROM.

Of course, current method not a GNU Linux standard release, we will keep research better method for that.

@Terry can you please update the Khadas docs regarding “how to boot in upgrade mode” in th serial console session for ubuntu [0].

@Gouwa I hope to seen one u-boot which can boot both Android and Linux. As you can see because of that, there are even different method to do one stuff.
Best woulde be to have Khadas VIM (both version) in u-boot mainline (see an other topic regarding this).

[0] http://docs.khadas.com/develop/HowtoBootIntoUpgradeMode/

We’ve already got ti fixed, thanks for feedback!

Yes, it’s really quite necessary to do that!

Actually, we tried to do that at the beginning, that’s why we separated two branches for Android and Linux, and if you check the Linux(ubuntu branch) one, you can found that we didn’t want to follow Amlogic’s rules.

I think we still need more time to research that, and we also got some problems like:

• Official Amlogic U-Boot source code is developed for Android,
  • Android OS: need cache partition
  • Linux OS: doesn’t need cache partition

Will keep research! :slight_smile:

Android uboot does not even have ext4load command:

Hit Enter or space or Ctrl+C key to stop autoboot -- :  0
Unknown command 'ext4load' - try 'help'
Unknown command 'ext4load' - try 'help'
kvim#

and thus I cannot boot ArchLinuxArm from micro SD card. @Gouwa please work on this, I can understand that currently two u-boot are needed because of that cache partition for Android, but at least they should be both on same level from feature.
In that HowTo for ArchLinuxArm i need to write that they must use Linux u-boot (one which comes with Ubuntu) as I don’t create FAT partition.