Overclocking possible?

Is it possible to overclock the vim2? is it something i need to recompile the kernel for? or i can adjust a setting for ubuntu?

Update: My apologies to @novaspirit. To readers, my original reply was in error, see Gouwa’s post.

My incorrect reply…
Hello, I do not think O/C above 1500MHz is possible due to SoC limit from AML. I have read that 1700MHz is possible, but only one core could sustain it. In the end, the writer did not think it was practical, nor of much, if any, benefit.

1 Like

thanks!! that makes sense, besides the thermo throttling is the real issue. so hard to keep this thing cool even with heatsink.

Yes, if I could only have one or the other, I would choose a fan. Having heatsink and a fan even better.
In my case, the VIM2 sets atop a centrifugal blower( no heatsink). It draws air from the VIM2’s bottom vents. While not ideal, usually don’t see temps move over 60c under any load, and that is with fairly high room temperature.
I intend to mount heatsink and fan at some point, but until then, my crude setup will do.

Some use cheap USB laptop coolers to move the air.

BTW If you are running Android, have a look at the ROMs from @superceleron. To avoid surprises, please carefully read his post before flashing.
Cheers.

thanks for the rom suggestion. i’m currently using linux on it more then android even thought i have it dual booted. I have a raspberry pi heat sink on it with a fan blow on it and still throttles when pulling full load with “yes”… i might take my water cooling setup i have for raspberry pi and try it on this guy and see what happens

That will be interesting. Please post pictures if you do, my curiosity has been piqued.:slight_smile:

If you have not checked on the work of @balbes150, you may want to have a look. He offers several Linux varieties .

that’s the image of the watercooled raspberry pi, i would think it might look similar. if your interested i have it on my youtube channel. youtube novaspirit tech

2 Likes

Nice channel and video. :+1:

thanksss while i have ypu here cam you tell me how to disable overscan?

Sorry, I am only a casual Linux user. @Gouwa or @balbes150 may know how. In addition to Gouwa, other Khadas staff may also know.
Hope you find the solution.

Yep, it’s possiable overclocking for bot VIMs, but need to recompile the linux kernel for this.

VIM:

VIM2:

2 Likes

ohhh man!! this is going to be fun!!

there is not much of a write up for this, can you give me quick instructions on how to compile for linux/ubuntu kernel. thanksss

i keep getting errors while compiling, i get driver error

You can refer to Use Fenix scripts to build your own ubuntu image
If you has question for it, please tell me,
Thanks,

Hi, Donald & novaspirit:
If needed, we can build a overclock ROM for your testing and preview. :wink:

OMG that would be great!!! fastest possible so at least i can put the water cooler to work!!

i’m checking out the source files the fenix script uses to compile for ubuntu and i can’t seem to find anywhere for 1536 clock speed to edit

What’s the version of kernel? 3.14 or 4.9?
The version 4.9 still don’t support for overclock. We need more time to add support for overclock.
Sorry for that.

his is all the spots i found with the sys_max. should i edit all or just mesongxl and mesongxm?

khadas@Khadas:~/project/khadas/ubuntu/linux/arch/arm64$ grep -r "1536"
boot/dts/amlogic/mesongxl.dtsi: sys_max = <1536000000>;
boot/dts/amlogic/mesontxl.dtsi: sys_max = <1536000000>;
boot/dts/amlogic/mesongxm.dtsi: sys_max = <1536000000>;
boot/dts/amlogic/mesongxtvbb.dtsi: sys_max = <1536000000>;
boot/dts/amlogic/mesongxbb.dtsi: sys_max = <1536000000>;
boot/dts/amlogic/odroidc2.dts: trip_point = <70 1536001 1536001 511 511 3 2
boot/dts/amlogic/odroidc2.dts: keep_mode_max_range = <1536000 792 4 3>;