Ok I've got VIM and spend hours figuring out how to update it - help!

I have tons of odroid c1 c2 and had no problem at all building custom kernels and updating/upgrading distros on them. And now I’m stuck completely on a first approach to khadas vim development board.

Yes I’ve connected a serial cable within a minute. Connected VIM via usb-c to my vmware linux box as “Google Android” device. I downloaded Vim_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170605.7z
Stopped boot and run kvim#update
It remounted as “Amlogic USB Device”

And then I’ve got the question: What next?

I haven’t found anything useful in khadas docs on several runs through them. And haven’t found anything simple with 1-2-3 steps on the forum. Everything ends with “connect usb-c cable and run custom windows software” And looks like from the forums update via tf card doesn’t work so it’s not an option.
So where’s the easy way to start?

Is it possible to connect khadas vim as an emmc storage?

Can I just dd if=Vim_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170605 of=/dev/khadas_emmc somehow?

And I’m using Apple Mac. So option “download some custom microsoft windows software” doesn’t work and since it’s a development board meant for developers it’s really a strange option.

There must be a way to use khadas vim as a development board with a standard utils like mount/dd etc
Can you please tell me how to update it to latest ubuntu the easy way?

And another very important question - how to update it remotely without user’s help?

Thank you

about not using windows,
get some hints in Install to eMMC without using Windows? about amlogic’s buildroot tools

ok I flashed it from MS windows VM. But the next funny thing - I booted the VIM. And viola
root@Khadas:~# uname -a
Linux Khadas 4.9.26 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 3 22:19:39 CST 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@Khadas:~# iwlist wlan0 scanning
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
root@Khadas:~# iw dev wlan0 scan
command failed: Resource temporarily unavailable (-11)

Is it normal that WIFI is not working?
Am I doing something wrong?

it’s strange but with wpa_supplicant it is not working
and iwlist not working either
but they way shown in Connecting via WiFi is working