New Ubuntu ROM released [EMMC INSTALLATION]

Hi, forks, here we release a new Ubuntu ROM, visit Firmware Page to download the ROM, basic info:

• Version: Vim_Ubuntu-16.04_V170124.7z
  • MD5: c1dea90da6174b48763f6640af69ae2c
  • For eMMC installation only
  • XFCE desktop enviroment
  • Rootfs is based on Balbes150’s ROM with 170118 build (Thanks!)
  • Account info:
    • User: root
    • Password: khadas
    • You’ll be aksed to create a new admin user with sudo permission on first boot
  • Red LED states
    • Power on: light on
    • When booting: heartbeat
    • Booted up: breath

Changelog:

• Rebuilt to support eMMC installation
  • Rebuild U-Boot to match Khadas VIM
    • build ID: 33885dc
    • support Keys Mode to enter into upgrade mode
    • support Keys Mode to erase eMMC
    • support power off to cut down the system power
    • Fixup the thermal with wrong data issue
  • Rebuild Linux kernel to match Khadas VIM
    • Build ID: 56f89c4
    • Add different LED states
    • Add WIFI driver
    • Add MALI driver
  • Add VIM logo
  • Init HDMI state on ramdisk(initrd)
  • Fixup the ‘Hostname service failed’ issue

Initial setup after installation

1. Enlarge the root file system storage
# resize2fs /dev/rootfs
  1. Trun off LED:
# echo none > /sys/class/leds/red/trigger

or setup any following states:

# cat /sys/class/leds/red/trigger
[none] nand-disk timer oneshot heartbeat backlight gpio cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 default-on sd emmc sdio breathe scpi scpistop rfkill0 rfkill1 rfkill2 
# 

Known issues

• Videos playback is not very smooth, and cannot play 4K videos

Upgrade guidance:

Step by step build instructions as following:

Our team are also building Ubuntu Mate, which is based on a more friendly Gnome desktop environment, and will release demo version soon. Here is the draft build from scratch instruction.

One more

• Android + Ubuntu DualOS ROM for VIM Pro is coming soon. Source codes for preview first:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

You released a server image, when will you release a desktop image?

The first revision can be released in next week for early bird first.

Once you release first image, and then after a while you release newer image with some improvements, will it be possible to update it wihout reflashing the image?

I am asking this because i wouldn’t want to reflash the image every time you make some Khadas specific improvements and fixes, that would be annoying.

Hi, Tommy21:
The first release just support upgrade the common ubuntu file system via ‘apt-get’, and the hardware part, especially the linux kernel and drivers should be upgrade with reflashing approach. But I believe we will done that in the future(we need built a server to support the upgrading).

1 Like

Is there any piece of software available for Arm that backs up all of the software installed, so i don’t have to manually search and reinstall every app i use, does anyone know?

I did a google search, there is an app called Aptik, but it is not available for Arm Linux.

Is there a way to do this on a Windows pc connected with the board, i want anything that can automate the process of reinstalling the software with all of its dependencies?

Interesting, we also will keep research :slight_smile:

Glad to see the fan is finally available, i have ordered one, when will you release Ubuntu, it’s the end of week. :slight_smile:

Check the topic :blush: