Khadas VIM2 - Buildroot and TV Extension DTV Board support for Linux

Hi.

I’ve purchased Khadas VIM2 + TV Extension DTV Board for VIM2 to use it with Buildroot Linux (which is offered to be supported by Khadas manufacturer/reseller on http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_580662.html?wid=21).

So, here are the following questions:

1. Where can I find the VIM2 Buildroot sources repository and/or build description?

2. Where can I find some SDK or demo software to work with TV Extension DTV Board in Linux?

Thanks in advance.

About buildroot source code for VIM2, you can download openlinux amlogic buildroot.
This is build description for it.

The name gxm_q200 is for VIM2. You can have a try.
If you has question, I hope I can help you. Thanks.

But DTV not active on buildroot.
Can you tell me why you want to use DTV on buildroot. Now DTV is active only on Android.

1 Like

Thanks for buildroot links. I’ll try to build it.

We should implement DTV application on minimal Linux environment (not Android).
Is there any DTV software / SDK for Linux available?
Or can you please provide us with the existing DTV software / SDK sources with some documentation for Android? We’ll try to port it into Linux for us.

Thanks in advance.

I need to search for more DTV informations.I will provide DTV example for you when I get it.
But now I’m not at office and it is Chinese National Holiday. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi, mkotulla
This is DVB Patch on Android.
I don’t know whether it is useful for you.

Hi, Terry.
First of all, thanks for your help.

We’ve decided to start with DTV experience on Android platfrom first. So, we need to build the Android from source and apply the DVB Patch which you’ve provided for us.

Can you please share with us the Android sources matching the DVB Patch and some build info suitable for VIM2 + DTV Board?
And also is the Android TV version for VIM2 + DTV board available?

Great thanks in advance.

Hi, mkotulla:
Android Source code at Download the Android Source Code.

vTV ROM is available at Firmware Pages now.

Current source code on Khadas Github and the DVB Patch which is provided by SuperDVB/@Frank.DTV supports vTV board.

And same build steps with Build Android.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks.

And one more question…
Are the build steps described in Build Android the same for VIM2+DTV board or some modifications (e.g. lunch target, uboot defconfig, repo branch etc) required?

Yep, total same steps.

For VIM2+DTV

$ cd ~/project/khadas/nougat/uboot
    $ make CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- kvim2_defconfig
    $ make CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
  • Build Android
    $ cd ~/project/khadas/nougat
    $ source build/envsetup.sh
    $ lunch kvim2-userdebug-64
    $ make -jN otapackage
3 Likes

Hi, Terry and Gouwa.
Thanks for the quick replies.

I’m now building Android from source according to your advices and I’ve decided to try vTV ROM VIM2_Nougat_vTV_V170930 available at Firmware Pages at this time.

And I’ve met the following issues with vTV ROM (VTV apk):

1. It does not support AC3 audio streams (both decode and passthrough fail for us).

2. DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C does not work at all. I’ve tried to start search, but it quits immediately.

3. And I have one more question related to Android vTV build…
    As I’ve found in provided DVB Patch, the VTV software for Android is present as apk.
    Is it possible to get the VTV software in a form of source code?

Thanks in advance.

@Frank.DTV please answer this question. Thanks

dear mkotulla

1. It does not support AC3 audio streams (both decode and passthrough fail for us).
    – AC3 audio need license from Dolby, for S912, need S912-B chipset to support it.

2. DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C does not work at all. I’ve tried to start search, but it quits immediately.
    –can you help me to caputure the logcat information while DVBT/C channel search.

3. And I have one more question related to Android vTV build…
    As I’ve found in provided DVB Patch, the VTV software for Android is present as apk.
    Is it possible to get the VTV software in a form of source code?
    –for the DVB software, it’s present as apk, not open source.

Is it anyway possible to buy this licence and use it with current VIM2 chipset?

Any plans to open source it?

Here in Khadas community we like and endorse open source software :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry for that. You can download fixup_dvb.7z to fixup it on VIM2_Nougat_vTV_V170930. The instruction file ReadMe is inclued in fixup_dvb.7z
Also I have updated the DVB_Patch for it.

I’ve tried fixup_dvb.7z on VIM2_Nougat_vTV_V170930 with the instructions from ReadME.
No success and even worth… I always get “VTV app closed” messagebox after boot which cannot be closed.

I’ve also tried to apply the DVB_Patch and compile Android for VIM2 DTV Board.
Also without any success… I’ve got the following issues:

1. DVB_Patch fails with:

$ git am 0001-DVB-add-support-for-DVB.patch
Applying: DVB: add support for DVB
error: patch failed: kvim2/init.amlogic.board.rc:40
error: kvim2/init.amlogic.board.rc: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 DVB: add support for DVB
The copy of the patch that failed is found in:
/home/development/Amlogic/Khadas/VIM2/Android/VIM2_Nougat/device/khadas/.git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run “git am --continue”.
If you prefer to skip this patch, run “git am --skip” instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run “git am --abort”.

1. I’ve tried to skip ‘0001-DVB-add-support-for-DVB.patch’ and applied all other patches, but got compilation error:

FAILED: /bin/bash out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/with-local/classes.dex.rsp
Communication error with Jack server (52). Try 'jack-diagnose’
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
make: *** [ninja_wrapper] Error 1

So, summary:
I’ve broken up with DTV experience on Android platform due to compile/patches errors and closed DTV sources (which should be still modified for our requirements).
And I’ve came back to Buildroot Linux for now.

I’ve built Buildroot successfully and now I’m playing with the board.
And I have now the following questions for VIM2 to use it with Buildroot Linux:

HARDWARE:

1. I’ve not found “M” Jumper in schematics (I want use “M” Jumper for update).

2. I cannot find CVBS resistor R141 inside PCB (which is present in schematics).

3. I’ve found SPI flash in PCB/schematics. How can it be used (e.g for boot)?

SOFTWARE:

1. I cannot find Mali library… So, where I can get libMail.so or how to get GPU working for Buildroot Linux?

2. For aml_upgrade_package - how can I edit/remove generated partitions (I do not need cache, reserved, recovery and so on for Linux).
    I’ve found that image is generated with aml_image_v2_packer_new tool according to aml_upgrate_package.conf inside Buildroot, which is unfortunately binary tool so cannot be modified. The *.conf file description is also not found…

3. Is there any possibility to mute VIM2 audio output in Linux (e.g. via sysfs)?
    I’ve tried to use amixer for this without any success.
    /sys/class/amaudio/mute_unmute is also not present.

Kind regards.

You can flash the ROM VIM2_Nougat_vTV_V171024

My experience building Android Nougat with VTV support is that you need to:

1. download sources from GitHub
  2. build it for VIM2
  3. apply patches
  4. build again

If you skip 2nd, building patched sources fails as they expect some files which eventually are result of succeeded build.

Thanks, Terry and Gytis, for your replies.
But as I wrote we’ve decided to go further with Buildroot Linux (whatever closed DTV sources does not meet our requirements).
So, I’ve already built Buildroot successfully.

And I have now the following essential question for VIM2 to use it with Buildroot Linux:
For aml_upgrade_package - how can I edit/remove generated partitions?

I do not need cache, reserved, recovery and so on for Linux.
I’ve found that image is generated with aml_image_v2_packer_new tool according to aml_upgrate_package.conf inside Buildroot, which is unfortunately binary tool so cannot be modified or researched. The *.conf file description is also not found…

Thanks.

1 Like