Khadas as home server, is it a viable product?

Sorry for the delay, just a quick answer for the few points addressed to me before my next post:

No idea either for “people” in general, but in my case I can just say that it started with the novelty of the Raspberry and it’s futur friends, I wanted to learn of to server, it was cheap, the annual electric cost was less than even the smallest OVH VPS and the arrival, at the time, of the Cubieboard 2 and it’s appealing SATA port instead of just an OS on SD made me go for it. And since I want to spread it’s usage around my friends with time, the cheapest it is, the easier it is to sell them to try the idea too.
Since my collection have the Cubeboard 2, the RPI1B, the RPI3B, and my latest acquisition was the XU4 that run as a home server while the 3 others are collecting dust/used more casually for now.

It’s mostly for accessing my local home network from outside (using the printer, managing the router if I open a new service on the server (i.e. I’m still working on imaps via let’s encrypt), etc…)

Currently nothing much, I don’t think I even reach 5Go, it’s mostly pdf, documentation, sources and ressources for programming project (+ all the git files that goes with). In size it’s almost nothing, but it’s hundreds to thousands of small files with size between a few bytes to some kilobytes.

It’s the case and everything work well for now, but having a list of options and understanding why a board is better than another and what to search while going for a server use case is interesting for me, before yesterday I was never thinking about going for a complete server before really needing one because they were too expensive for my needs, but now I start to considering things like the Asrock Beebox (fanless by default :heart: ) or the Intel NUC as a next step, even if it’s not for now yet.

whups!. Ok, missed that. But my message still stands.
Crypto is not the main concern. Nor is "can it do VPN’ - well of course it can.

BUT, if you are using VPN for what any normal person would use VPN for (which is accessing a LAN, while remote, as if you were local - and to then use that as if you were there) the VIM2 and 1 will be completely crap at it, unless you live in VT52. [This is correct use for VPN. - Saying ‘network protection’ is the most incorrect use of the technology. Security is part of the implementation, not the core design of. As usual many people using the wrong tool for the task.]

Khadas (like many manufactures) are complete liars.
Just because Khadas uses a chip that has the capability of giving your eth0 1000Mbit and telling everyone it is Gb, is a total lie.

1Gbit ethernet will offer 100MB/s transfer in both directions (duplex). You cannot and will not ever get that out of VIM2.

Taking a 1Gbit chip and connecting it to the rest of the system with a 9600 baud serial connection (or a slightly faster USB (still serial!!) bus) and saying “you have 1Gbit” is totally bullsh!t.

This doesn’t even consider TCP offloading or any other hardware (or IO related) performance, as you said.

The only real question that you should be asking, and the question that AMLogic asked, is are these chips adequate for their intended purpose - which is TV boxes. As such the answer is an emphatic yes.

Asking them to do much else is missing their design niche. I personally don’t much like AML products for all sorts of reasons - but they are currently the best low cost option for Android based entertainment units and not a lot else.

This stupidity makes no sense to comment.

Really no idea what you’re talking about. The S912 has a GbE capable MAC inside which is connected to an external GbE PHY via RGMII (no USB involved). Also S912 supports ARMv8 Crypto Extensions and the numbers for any Cortex-A53 at a specific clockspeed are known (I posted several links into this thread but ignorance/stupidity became a problem here in the meantime).

If you pin the crypto stuff to those CPU cores that are allowed by the cheating firmware to exceed 1.0 GHz then Vim2 should be good for exceeding 70 or even 80 MB/s through the network with full disk encryption or with VPN stuff. Never tested this myself since for my use cases all Amlogic SoCs are too weak (since storage is bottlenecked by USB2 – the S922 might change this in the future)