Cooing Fan Assemble Guidance

Here is a simple instruction to assemble the cooling fan on Khadas VIM.

Cooling fan bundles:

• High speed & Slim cooling fan x 1PCS
  • Upper acrylic case with mounting holes x 1PCS
  • 1.25 to 2.54mm converter x 1PCS
  • Screw x 4PCS
  • Screw cap x 4PCS

Assemble steps

1) Tear off the yellow paper on the upper case

2) Fasten cooling fan with the screws

3) Converter

4) Tear down the upper case of Khadas VIM

5) Replace the original upper case with the new upper case(with cooling fan mounted)

Notice: the heat sink is not included in the bundles

GPIO

TBD

RTC port

TBD

Purchase

Further details of Cooling Fan

Bottom View:

Side View:

Drawings and Dimensions

Specification and Features

Performance Curve

Check the datasheet for the further details.

If it is possible. If you connect the fan to “RTC Battery slot” will it work ? The size of the fan connector fits into the connector RTC ? The power connector RTC is always present (with connected power supply) ?

Question on the radiator. You plan to add in future sets ? Is it possible to release two versions of the kits.

1. without the radiator
  2. with radiator.
    By the way, the mounting of the radiator can be easily solved without termoskotch. For better contact between the CPU and heatsink use thermal paste. If the top, between the radiator and the top plate of the case, to add a small piece of the elastic adhesive double-sided tape (NOT thermoskotch). The elastic strip is securely pressed against the radiator to the CPU and glued to the housing cover will not allow it to shift.

We will sold Heat sink with silicone paste separately.

Cooling fan on RTC port, we will update the guidance for that.

1. What kind of screw heads are those? None of my kits have that kind of screwdriver?
  2. Is it not possible to have a fan that does not have a wire sticking up out of the case?

1.) Triangle-TA, tamper-resistant head. I have found on the case fasteners, these can be held with thumb pressure, while the nut is tightened with fingers, a wrench or pliers. Of course, when using metal fasteners in plastic, you don’t want it too tight anyway. Picture from here.

1 Like

Bend the pins 20\40 at an angle of 90 degrees to the left, that the contact was located parallel to the Board under the top cover. then all the wires you will be able to place in the housing. If possible, you can trim off the excess wire and solder the connector to the wires of the fan with minimum length (which would have been just enough to connect to the connector on the Board).

1 Like

Crazy but amazing idea!!! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

fit perfect. Thanks.

1 Like

May be you can change the screw head to the top view :slight_smile:

I try this first but they push one chip (Pulse H1102) under the fan.

Another method for keeping the GPIO fan connect wires under the top plate.
A DuPont jumper is used for example here, though should be much the same for the fan’s connectors.
Note: DuPont connector shells removed.
Caution should be exercised when bending thin metal to avoid a break. Bend slowly and avoid extreme right angle bends.
Before and after…

Top Plate removed for clarity…

Front view showing no protrusion of wire or connector from case…

Arial view, top plate in place…

2 Likes

I have finally received mine fan today, connection wires are outside of the case, you could have done it better, but i will live with it.

Any way to control the fan, i mean lowering rpm-s, is it possible to control it inside Ubuntu?

Fan arrived today easy fit, now for some testing…

1 Like

It’s possible, but need to design a extra logic board with a GPIO to control the power supply of cooling fan.

unacceptably loud for that small fan, or maybe my bad luck
one may try to remove the black round sticker on top and it will give him three soldering points,suppose if you plan to use PWM to command the fan that is the right direction
did no further investigations on speed control - anyway too noisy for me

Hi, Abutkov:
Sorry for that, and @willow will follow up with the details.

Actually, you are exactly right for the feedback that to control the cooling fan with PWM. As when we designed the VIM, we just thought that cooling fan is not quite needed for VIM, so:

• We didn’t design with an onboard 2-Pin slot for cooling fan
  • If need to be controlled by PWM for current VIM designing, we need design an external board/module spec with both power management and PWM and for that.

It seems that we might need to develop the module in the future. :wink:

Anyway, VIM2 will got better cooling fan supporting.

2 Likes

expected release date for vim2…?

Should be in June or July :slight_smile:

Hello. Abutkov. Sorry for this. How about the cooling fan, could it work?

As i see on the picture, there is black and red small lines connected with the cooling fan, but from your picture they have gone. You did it and removed them to have a new try?
or it comes like that.

waiting for your answer to have better service.

thank you.

Hi, willow
I simply desoldered 1.25mm converter lines to replace them directly with 2.54mm - to turn it more native :slight_smile:
And then I went even further and soldered wires directly to the mainboard - just to make the appearance less exserted. So during these manipulations I noticed the 3rd soldering point and supposed it to be PWM (also see the yellow line on the picture above)
Anyway, the noise level was high for me and I didn’t look through the datasheet (kind of SUNON UB5U3-500) to check if my guess was true. As for the rest - blower in operating condition, so if this small server happen to move somewhere far it might retrive its cooling device.

add 1: it was noisy from the beginning, not the result of a hot iron, so now I have a better ventilated casing :slight_smile:
add 2: the screw DOES push the LAN transformer

1 Like