Build vim2 firmware including root support

Hi,
Following document page steps, I can build an android N firmware for Vim2 and update to device.
But I found it cannot rooted.

After searching awhile I found khadas/supersu@Github but don’t know how to apply it.
Could anyone have experience to included root support?

Thanks,

You can refer to this. And I have already add ReadMe support. Have a try. Thanks.

1 Like

@Terry
It works. Thanks a lot.

135 posts were split to a new topic: VIM2 - How do I Root My ROM?

My vim2 keeps crashing if I’m watching something it will literally turn it self off and go back to the home screen do you know what could be doing this the thing it’s not even hot.

Hello, You may want to insure that your power source is providing adequate power.
Otherwise, please list OS and version.

I assume the VIM2 is rebooting or are you saying the video stops and it crashes to the desktop.

Hi thanks for getting back to us it’s been working brilliant but a few times it’s been shutting of back to the home screen I can’t understand what is doing it it’s got loads of memory and it doesn’t get hot.
Vim2
OS 7.1.2 nougat

Say if I was watching a movie or a show it would go back to the home screen with the khadas sign if you was turning it on for the first time I’ve got plug to my tv and power source is khadas is power lead and plug

Sounds to me like the box is spontaneously rebooting. This can be caused by numerous issues.
Often it is a power starvation issue. USB connected accessories can increase demands on available power, check to make sure USB connected devices don’t exceed the current available from the power supply. Power starvation can also be caused from an under-performing power supply.
I would suggest swapping out a suitable power supply as a test for starvation issues.

Could also be caused by an app or firmware bug. Since your VIM2 was previously working fine on the same firmware, it would not be my first suspect. Consider any recent app installs or app updates that have occurred around the same time as the rebooting issue.
As a general house cleaning measure, you may want to go to Settings/Storage and clear the cache.

1 Like

I would advise you to reset to “factory settings” and observe.

here you are right, I found one of these errors on vim3, and it is connected with the VC-1 codec, I hope Terry will fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do you think I should update the OS to Oreo 8 or Pie 9 I think your right it could be apps updating because it doesn’t do it all the time I’ve forgot how to download the os for the vim2 could you send us the link on how to do this.

As far as I know, there is no Pie firmware for any S912, AML has not yet released a workable SDK from what I understand.
If I recall you have a Mac PC. Do you recall what we did last time to get around not having a Linux or Windows PC?

VIM2 Android firmware can be found here.
Directions for flashing firmware can be found here, and here. How to enter in to update mode can be found here.

A new way to flash the VIM2 has become available, Krescue, though still in the experimental phase. A Krescue video how-to can be seen here.

I’ve got windows on my MacBook Air by bootcamp I can’t how I done it

1 Like

OK, having Windows on your MacBook should make it fairly easy.
You have a couple of options…
1.) Use Windows, the USB Burning Tool and a USB-C to USB-A cable.
Or…
2.) Use Windows to make an update card.

I think you used option one last time, so I will focus on that…
I assume you already have the USB Burning Tool on your MacBook Win10. You may not need the latest version of the tool, but the latest version of the USB Burning Tool is 2.2.0. Follow Windows directions here to flash the firmware. To enter update mode follow directions here for the “Keys” method.

Let me know if you have any difficulty.:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m going to leave on nougat because there is know update to Oreo or Pie they have loads of versions of nougat but that’s it I think your right it hasn’t been doing it lately but it must be when apps are updating.

I hope the issue does not resurface.

There is a custom VIM2 ROM from developer superceleron, you may find it has advantages over the stock firmware. Read about it here if interested.

Also, Krescue can be used to make an entire backup of the VIM2’s current firmware, apps and user data. In the event you did not like the custom ROM, the Krescue backup can be used to restore the VIM2 to your current setup.

Can you help us here I’m trying to download 4K movies on to my 1tb drive I’ve got connected to my vim2 I’ve format the drive fat32 but I have noticed that when I try to download a big movie file 88.20GB I go into es file explorer but the strange thing about it instead I seeing 88.20 gb of my 1tb it shows 4gb this is every time it never shows how big the file is it’s very confusing I don’t understand why it keeps doing this

Fat32 format is limited to 4GB file size.
NTFS, exFAT and other formats can handle files in excess of 4GB.

can you get OwnCloud Server on vim2 I’ve tried to get it on my other devices no luck could you explain to how to set this up I’ve read that you can install it on raspberry pi you must be able to install it on the vim2.

How do you setup Ubuntu on my vim2 can you dual boot this?