3rd-Party Ubuntu ROM for Khadas VIM

If I understand correctly that post, it actually don’t work as expected. He is just writing his opinion. The ffmpeg commit where hardware decoding for amlogic is added to ffmpeg is10 Months old and he ask others to try it to.

@Khadas Support was this tested, should it work with Kadas VIM / Pro?

Update image kernel 3.14 (v20170531)

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/&do=findComment&comment=32811

1 Like

Test image of Ubuntu Mate KODI. It’s a predefined way. The user “user” password to “1”. The user “root” password “root”. Launch KODI should run as root user (open a console and execute “su -” enter passwd root “kodi”). This version of KODI normally plays full-screen video. After leaving their KODI the screen remains black, you need to switch to another console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and switch back (Ctrl+Alt+F7).

S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

3 Likes

hi, which one of your builds have the gpu driver enabled?

for
S9xx_Ubuntu_KODI_20170621_3_14_29.img.xz

https://yadi.sk/d/UWmLPDH63KLZ4H

2 Likes

what installation instructions to follow?

So Balbes, it isn’t possible to use this image with Vim using Nougat?

I would like to try it out, but can’t find a way, i don’t want to go back to Marshmallow to use this Ubuntu image.

1. Activate the multi-boot (if it is already activated, you can skip this step)

2. Record an image on the medium, to connect to VIM and switch on the power.

3. For starting to run KODI , open a terminal and execute the two commands.

4. To switch to root “su -” and enter the root password (in this way, the user “root” password “root”).

5. To run kodi (the “kodi”). Note that if you choose to exit KODI using the Exit item, you need to manually switch the screen (Ctrl+Att+F1 and after the appearance of the image console to perform a reverse transition in the graphics screen Ctrl+Alt+F7). Network setup and so on for KODI is running in native system, as usual in the desktop.

What firmware version does not matter. The main thing to start must be activated universal multiboot.

How to activate it?

I have been using local update in update and backup app when i was on Marshmallow, latest Nougat uses different update app.

And btw thank you for all the work you do supporting Amlogic devices, i really appreciate it.

I myself have not tested on Android 7, but users write wrote that they have from running multiboot like on Android 6.

If you have serial console and u-boot access, you could stop autoboot and type in u-boot “run update”. The prepared image on microSD should have FAT32 partition and prepared aml_autoscript.zip file, which is then read by u-boot.
Please note i did never done this. But i did it successfully with LibreELEC.

If you don’t have Serial console you could use this methodeto boot to u-boot upgrade mode. Also not tested by me.

Serial console is a must have for such developers board.

Are these the instructions for activating universal multi-boot?

Install to eMMC (NAND)

1. Open the terminal
  2. Run “sudo /root/install.sh”

Do i need to download aml.autoscript.zip, or both files?

Will it work using Nougat, i only need to download some Terminal app, rom is rooted so it should work?

I don’t have serial console, so this is my only chance.

1 Like

this should work, i have Vim_Nougat_20170421_root istalled on emmc … boot into android, plug in the sd-card, go to settings - about - update&backup - updateLocale-select - aml_autoscript.zip - update

from there on multiboot is activated, you just boot vim with the plugged sd-card.

1 Like

Figured with the launch KODI from the average user. For this you need to add it to the group. To run the command

“sudo usermod -a-G audio,video,disk,input,tty user”

And edit the file /boot/hdmi.sh replace 1 to 0 . The line after editing should be

“echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink”

After these steps, you can launch KODI from the menu.

thank you balbes150 for the new image. to boot is easy, in my case i didn’t need the update way with android.

to talk about kodi:

there are lots of artefacts in kodi
i could not install any addons
i have no wifi
the keyboard doesn’t change in the correct language
when i go to system-settings kodi freezes or crashes

Beta version (20170623). Image c KODI. This way works as usual with the primary setting. Volume expansion occurs automatically. Pay attention now to run KODI you need to use the tab menu (graphics\sound). Works addons\setings. To configure the WiFi - need to use the setting in the main system. KODI works with hardware and settings, which are executed in the primary system. For WiFi you need to register the correct module in the startup file (/etc/modules).

Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_KODI_20170623.img.xz

link does not work, please update

This is not a link and name of the image file. The link to the website with the images is in the topic above. :slight_smile:

Duplicate it for You just in case.

in the 20170621 version I am getting
ERROR unable to create gui